Join now - be part of our community!

UBP-X700 combined with FDR-AX53

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
gogusta
Explorer

UBP-X700 combined with FDR-AX53

I have a Sony 4k Camcorder FDR-AX53 and I save my Movie files on my NAS home network. A few Days ago I purchased the Sony UBP-X700 Ultra HD Bluray (I already had the Sony BDP-S7200 with no 4K support). I also have a Sony KD-55AF8 TV to play Everything on. All the way Sony as you can see. I want to have one box to play all media (CD, DVD, Bluray, 4K Bluray) and a media player to play all my home videos and other Movies from my NAS, ripped DVD and blurays. BUT I discovered that the new Ultra HD Bluray could not play 4K Movies recorded with the Sony camcorder FDR-AX53! Why is that? I have Sony Products all over and I can not play files recorded by a Sony Product on Another Sony Product player? Can someone confirm that this is the case? Even the VLC-app on the AF8 TV can play these 4K home Movies, but not a new 4K player? If I get this confirmed by someone I will return the UBP-X700 and look for Another Product. If there are any.

Tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi gogusta,

It's the technology itself. These limitations also apply to other devices like TVs for example. Sadly, we have to accept it as it is. So, my advice: Enjoy your player and don't worry too much about the home network limitations.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

View solution in original post

profile.country.SE.title
gogusta
Explorer

I think I reluctantly will accept that the Sony players behave this way. They are certainly not perfect yet. I have read about other media players and it seems that there no "super box" that can do anything for everybody just yet.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi gogusta,

I'll see what I can find out - someone else in the community might be able to help in the meantime.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.SE.title
gogusta
Explorer

Thank you very much Pascale, i appreciate it. I tested more today and I saved some 4K movie files on a USB stick and tried to play them direct on the UBP-X700, sidestepping the network, and it worked! All my test files with 4K XAVC-S 60 Mbps worked. I had produced the movies with Cyberlink Power Director 17 in different formats such as MP4, MKV and M2TS just for this test. I am glad to say that all files worked when read from the USB port. But when I played the same files through my networks NAS from the UBP-X700 media player it took a few minutes before anything happened. I got a blank screen and sometimes I could  get error on the files (data reading failed) and sometimes the movie started. I use cables in my network, no WiFi. I thought that maybe it is a problem in my network but the same files from the networks NAS starts immediately when I play them through the VLC app on the network connected TV (Sony AF8). So I think that the problem really lies in how the UBP-X700 interact with the files through the network. And I noticed that it's not only 4K files, even big movie files in HD 1080. Any info on this?

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi gogusta,

playable file types over a DLNA network are limited unlike USB playback as noted on page 29 and 30 here. The same applies even to Sony's flagship player the UBP-X800M2.

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.SE.title
gogusta
Explorer

Thanks for the answer. So the player can play almost all file types through USB but not some of them from the network connected NAS? That does not sound good, I wonder how they figured out that limitation since the decoders obviously are in the player. Now I don't know if I will keep the player or return it, I have a few days to decide. The purpose of buying it was to have a player to play 4K discs and 4K files from my network attached NAS, files recorded by my FDR-AX53 camcorder, 4K files recorded in 60 or 100 Mbps. Strange decission by Sony. The adverts says the player plays "almost" anything. I suppose the keyword here is "almost".

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi gogusta,

It's the technology itself. These limitations also apply to other devices like TVs for example. Sadly, we have to accept it as it is. So, my advice: Enjoy your player and don't worry too much about the home network limitations.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.SE.title
gogusta
Explorer

I think I reluctantly will accept that the Sony players behave this way. They are certainly not perfect yet. I have read about other media players and it seems that there no "super box" that can do anything for everybody just yet.