Join now - be part of our community!

UBP X800 only providing Stereo?

profile.country.GB.title
s2687w
Explorer

UBP X800 only providing Stereo?

Hi Gurus,

i need some help. I’ve just bought a Sony 4K TV and the Sony UBP X800 4K player. It’s all HDMI linked up and I have the optical out on the TV linked to my Sonos system. 

I happened to to read an online comment about most default TV settings only providing a stereo signal to the Sonos so you don’t get a proper surround experience. I changed the settings for the TV and bingo the Sonos app is showing 5.1 digital for my Sky Q and normal TV BUT the UHD player was still only stereo. The TV info screen also says stereo. 

Ive tried different settings but still can’t get a 5.1 digital (at least) signal showing on the TV and not to the Sonos. 

Are there any suggestions to fix this as it is driving me mad!  Should I try new HDMI cables??

The TV is obviously correct as the output for the TV and Sky are generating the 5.1 output so I am thinking it has to do with the input signal from the BluRay player. 

Help me Obi Wan, you’re my only hope

Regards

Steve

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@s2687w

Hi,

I think it is the way that you have connected your system together that is the problem. I do not own a Sonos unit but I do have a Home Theatre set up (BDV-N9100W). The UBP X800 has two HDMI ports on the back, port 2 is version 1.4 for audio only and port 1 is version 2.0 HDCP 2.2 enabled. The latter is for 4K video (and audio) but if your sound sytem cannot pass 4K then that is what port 2 is for. I have my sound system connected to my television via the HDMI ARC port (not optical), the UBP X800 is connected via it's port 1 to the television HDMI version 2.0 port. My sound system cannot pass 4K and does not have any version 2.0 ports so this is connected via HDMI to port 2 on the UBP X800.

Please see here with reference to page 11

My sound sytem is unable to decode Dolby Atmos but can handle most other codecs including 5.1

I hope this is clear enough ?

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
profile.country.GB.title
s2687w
Explorer

Thanks but I don’t think it is the set up as you say. 

Sonos only has has a single optical input so the normal set up is that all devices link to the TV and then then TV optical out goes to the Sonos system. 

The Sonos is a bit of an aside really as the TV displays the audio input as stereo from the Blu Ray whereas a sky q displays as digital 5.1   

Thats why I think the input signal isn’t correct 

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Yeah, mine is the opposite. Everything connects to the sound system then that connects to the TV (other than the HDMI 2.0 because it doesn’t have one)

I’m not familiar with the Sonos unit but clearly it does work at 5.1 with your other devices. 

How have you connected the UBP X800 to the television ?

profile.country.GB.title
s2687w
Explorer

Yup,

the X800 is HDMI linked straight into the TV.  The audio info from thyat link says stereo and not anything 5.1 or similar hence my assumption it is a signal issue from the player.  I cannot find anything in the settings of the blu ray player that changes it.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Frustrating to say the least :disappointed:

I can only suggest that you make sure you have the correct HDMI lead (as referred to in the manual) and connect from X800 port 1 to the TV HDMI corresponding port that is HDCP 2.2 compliant (version 2.0) and if available also labelled ARC (audio return channel) so as to carry the audio as well as video. You may already have done this ? I do not know the TV model, if it is a relatively new 4K model (and not like my 2014 model with only one version 2.0 port) I would think all ports are version 2.0 but only one may be ARC

Thanks for the kudo :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
s2687w
Explorer

All sorted!

I found another post relating to a similar issue. I had to turn the BD down mix to off. 

Good 5.1 sound now

thanks for your advice anyway

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

You are most welcome.

Pleased you have sorted it out, didn’t think about the X800 settings ! 

Regards

profile.country.GB.title
Deanscooterboye
Explorer

I had a similar problem with my X800 connected via digital coax to a Denon AV amp. Turn the BD mix off to get DTS on Bluray audio discs and also had to switch the DVD audio setting to DVD video to get DTS on DVD audio discs.