Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I'm pleased to hear both are now OK. For two machines to be affected does make it sound like some weird transmitter issue... I wouldn't like to second guess what though.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

And just going off your user name -:) you might want to keep a check on possible changes:

https://www.freeview.co.uk/tvchanges/upcoming-changes

profile.country.GB.title
StableX
Explorer

I have the same issue with the update. However, if I hold down the STOP button (square) on the machine and then hold the power off button, the machine does NOT turn off. Sometimes when clicking the stop button it flashes locked then back to update and sometimes flashes locked then flashes unlocked then back to update. The only way to turn off the machine is via the power socket. When turning it back on again, the same thing happens.

Could anyone suggest how to do a hard reset if holding both the stop and power doesn't do anything?

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Holding Stop and pressing Power on the front panel is a hard reset and should return it to OOB (out of box) state. Make sure there is no DVD in the tray.

You could try leaving it unpowered overnight and also when you do power it back on do so initially without the aerial connected.

What you describe is not common at all. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Also and try this first... if it stuck in update then press and hold just the power button to force a shutdown. It takes around 5 seconds to respond so keep the button pressed.

profile.country.GB.title
StableX
Explorer

Thank you for that. Yes, after reading a lot of the comments here, it seems strange that nothing happens. If I try to turn off the recorder via the power on the left, nothing happens.

It's always turned off overnight so I can't see that working. 

Very odd indeed. 

Just to clarify, I need to hold down the stop button (square) on the device then hold the on/off power button for 5+ seconds?

If that is right, then for some reason it's doing nothing 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

These are the two different procedures depending on what you want to do.

1/ If the unit is unresponsive then normally pressing and holding just power button on the front panel will force the machine to shutdown. You have to keep it pressed down for a few seconds until it responds and shuts down.

2/ Holding down the stop button on the front panel first and then also pressing on/off on the front should turn off a normally powered machine and place it in Factory Reset mode. When you next press the power on button it will launch into the initial out of box set up routine. 

Piscie
Community Team

Hey all,  make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned on. (If the unit is turned off (standby) and the stop button is pressed and held, the unit will go into "Lock" mode. To release the Locked mode, press and hold the Stop button for 5 seconds). 
Remove any DVD disc from the unit and close the drawer. 
Press and hold the Stop button, then press and release the On/Standby button, then release the Stop button. This will turn the unit 'off' and reset all settings to factory defaults, removing any potentially corrupted 'Tuning' and 'EPG' data.

The remote control may not work after the reset. The remote control code will revert to the default code 3.