Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
Gormallow57
Explorer

I 'm experiencing the same problems and have sent the following email to Sony today.

I have both a RDR-HXD870 and a RDR-HXD970 DVD Recorder. Both models have developed the same fault when switched on today (10/07/13) which suggests to me that an automatic update has gone wrong. The digital tuner in both machines is now not working. No picture or sound is being output from free-view broadcasts and retuning is ineffective. Programmes previously recorded on the HDD play correctly. The digital TV guide is only displayed momentarily and is not populated with programme information. The colour scheme on the TV guide is now green rather than blue as previously. I've reset the 870 to factory settings in an effort to resolve the problem but this recorder now freezes after scanning for channels. Both recorders are connected to different aerials and TVs. Both are using firmware version 1.70. Your help would be appreciated.
Gormallow57
Explorer

The date on the message above should read 19/07 not 10/07. Apologies.
ljm40os
Explorer

Thought it was only me!. I have 2 recorders RDR-HXD995 and 890, I don't have any issue with the channels but  with the EPG Guide on both, and the fact that it doesn't go back to the TV channel when finished but only to a blank page. I also have a problem with it not wanting to switch on after it has taped something and has powered off, I have to switch off at the mains and then back on again. Have sent a mail to Sony as well but no reply as yet.

jimturner01
Explorer

Did you get an answer. Mine & two friends have just done exactly the same thing

Me too

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not sure that bombarding Sony with emails about this issue is the most productive thing.  As stated before, Sony UK are aware of the problem, and im sure they will issue a fix, once one has been created. 

It may not even be Sony's fault either.  A failed EPG update, and the Sony/Pioneer recorders couldnt handle it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

According to this thread - Channel 56 seems to be the issue http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK809233&irt=721387#b721387

I don't have an RDR at how so cannot verify this

sjborley
Explorer

Both our machine also down - RDR-HXD870 and RDR-HXD890.

I'm frustrated but not suprised that there is no action from Sony over the weekend. I would have liked to has seen somthing on thier social media sites to at least acknowedge the problem - just a "we are investigating" post would be a good start. I think I'm more angry that they have communication channels that are ideal for this, but not using them then angry that I've lost a few hours of entertainment.

I am curious what, if any, lasting affect this will have on the Sony brand. For me I'll probably not be putting all my eggs on one basket next time. 

ljm40os
Explorer

Not sure if anyone else has this but I did record something last night using the system menu and it was on the Title List, but what was tapped is an hour of a blank screen so for me the record function doesn't work either.

dbcushion
Explorer

So relieved my husband found this thread!!  We thought we were the only ones this had happened to.We spent most of Friday evening confused as to how our EPG could vanish into thin air. When we got up Saturday morning we found the recorder stuck in UPDATE mode, which we eventually fixed. Saturday afternoon was spent trying to install the firmware update, which was unsuccessful. This morning the recorder is stuck in UPDATE mode again.

As a global company surely your email system is monitored over the weekend. An acknowlegement of the problem on your website isn't too much to expect, is it??????