Join now - be part of our community!

What sound field do I use?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pete.wootton
Visitor

What sound field do I use?

I have an HT-AS5 and BDP-S370 connected via HDMI.

Unfortunately I am having a problem getting my head around the Sound Fields and knowing which one to select to ensure I get the full 5.1 effect when watching something encoded in Dolby Digital.

Do I use A.F.D. Standard, Movie - D.C.S. or something entirely different?!  As a second question, what does A.F.D. stand for!

Any suggestions gratefully received!

12 REPLIES 12
JBRobinson
Visitor

Thanks again, Jules.

I tried removing the SCART cable that connects the DVD player to the TV, but I cannot then watch a recording on the PVR unless the DVD player is turned on.  I routinely record programmes on the PVR, then watch them from there so I can skip through the adverts, so don't usually turn on the DVD player unless I need it.

The TV has four HDMI sockets but only one (the one I am using) has ARC, so it looks like I don't need the optical cable.  It only cost ten quid, though, so no big deal.

As you suggested, I have ProLogic II set most of the time.

The link you provided looks very interesting.  Thanks.

John

Message was edited by: JBRobinson

Edited to make more sense!

profile.country.GB.title
jtonline.info
New

Hmm.. in your post of 31-May-2011 @ 16:55 you say that the PVR is connected to the TV with a Scart cable, and the DVD recorder is connected to the TV with both a Scart and an HDMI.

I assumed that a Scart goes from the 'TV Out' socket on the back of the PVR to the TV (and therefore sends its output direct to TV) whilst another Scart goes from a socket marked something like VCR/DVD on the back of the PVR to the input on the back of the recorder, so that you can transfer some PVR recordings onto DVD.

Anyway, it's a bit tricky to work it all out sitting here without everything in front of me, but it seems as though you've got everything working the way you want it now, so it's just a case of sitting back and enjoying your home cinema :smileyhappy:.

Jules.

JBRobinson
Visitor

I fear I may have caused some confusion, for which I apologise.  This, I think, is the line to which you refer:

"The DVD player also acts as a pass-through from a PVR (also connected via SCART) to the TV."

What I (rather clumsily) meant to say was that the PVR is connected to the DVD player by a SCART cable, and then the DVD player is connected to the TV by another SCART cable.  Sorry.

The DVD player is thus connected to the TV by a SCART cable, but not directly to the TV by an HDMI cable; the HDMI cable goes from the DVD player to the sound system, and another from the sound system to the TV (to the ARC HDMI socket).

There certainly does seem to be a mass of wires in that corner of the room now which, so long as things continue to work properly, I think I'll leave alone!

Anyway, I thank you for your continued interest and support and should anything change (such as my buying a PVR with HDMI sockets) I hope you do not mind me posting futher queries.