Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless LAN adapter

SOLVED

Wireless LAN adapter

hello community

first post and not sure if I'm the right place!!

i currently have a Sony blu Ray player model number bdp-s4100. I want to connect to the Internet to access the Netflix function & app.  I understand that I need to buy a wireless LAN adapter but can't seem to find one for love or money (most on amazing, eBay are usb wireless) so just posting to see where to buy the most reasonable one?

thanks in advance

leighton 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The only wireless adaptor that will work is Sony's UWA-BR100.  However, at £70 is is not cheap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/

If you absolutely cannot connect an ethernet cable from your router to this bluray player - my advice is to forget the wireless dongle and use a set of powerline homeplugs instead.  There are many available, but ive heard good reviews on the TP-Link, such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The only wireless adaptor that will work is Sony's UWA-BR100.  However, at £70 is is not cheap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/

If you absolutely cannot connect an ethernet cable from your router to this bluray player - my advice is to forget the wireless dongle and use a set of powerline homeplugs instead.  There are many available, but ive heard good reviews on the TP-Link, such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PA451KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Through/dp/B00D8BGLMY/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

The part you require is a UWA-BR100 but these are very expensive now. A possible cheaper solution would be to use a couple of homeplugs which allow you to share your home network using your homes electrical wiring. 

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Nobody-in-particular

You should have read @Anonymous reply above, you've just copied everything he said!

@LeightonJones1978

I use the TP-Link devices as mentioned by @Anonymous above and in general they're very good and give you the same speed as if connected directly to your router. If you do go down this route the only advice I can give is make sure you connect the powerline adapter to a wall socket, trailing leads or surge protectors cause havoc with these devices resulting in constant disconnections. Other than that they're well worth the small price tag.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

@MK_Slinky wrote:

@Nobody-in-particular

You should have read @Anonymous reply above, you've just copied everything he said!

How rude!

Firstly when I began typing my reply there was no other reply and secondly why do you feel it is your place to chastise me for posting in this community?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nobody-in-particular @MK_Slinky

Hi both

In this case, i think there is just a little mis-understanding on how things work, in regards to double posts.  Unfortunately more than one person can reply to the same post at the same time - without being aware of the other person.  It is only when you post the reply that you see the others post.  

Hopefully this explains things

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Anonymous

Thank you for explaining that, wow what are the chances of that happening I wonder..., 1 in a million?

@Nobody-in-particular

You're absolutely right, I don't have the right to chastise you and that certainly wasn't my intention. I just thought it odd that you posted the same advice as the other member. That said however now that @Anonymous has explained how this might have occurred I can only offer my apology for any offence incurred.

Sorry!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Thanks everyone for your replies you were very helpful and saved me a lot of time and money figuring out what adapter I needed.

Leighton