Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia V keeps shutting down by itself

Yui
Visitor

Sony Xperia V keeps shutting down by itself

I would like to know why my phone keeps turning off by itself?!

I got my phone in March, however recently, after updating the system on my phone, whenever I use an app, it automatically shuts down.

Sometimes, it just shuts down after the system has booted

This is extremely irritating!!

I am extremely disappointed after switching phone brands to Sony phone for the first time.

My previous phone does not face such a problem when I use my SIM card on it.

Please enlighten me on how to rectify the problem.

42 REPLIES 42
elynaslina
Visitor

I have this problem 2..how I had ti charge my phone so it dosent not suddenly shutdown. So disappointed with Sony! Please solve our problem immediately...tq
ljh
Visitor

Hi Everyone,

My phone Xperia T was sent to Sony For reapair because it kept shutting down that same problem as everybody else. They said they tested my phone? not sure what test they did, so poor support. Got my phone back today, put my sim card and memory card it turned the phone on. BANG it went off again, same old problem, so it seems they now give phone testing to 3 year olds, as it couldnt have been tested. That is why APPLE WOULD GIVE YOU ANOTHER PHONE wish I had gone to apple as all my family have apple and know problems, they now laugh at me for going to Sony

Thanks very much Sony for being great support and looking after all of us who have phones just over a year old. They dont want to support you or give you any upgrades in software, so you are stuck. They just want you to upgrade again to another Sony Phone. That is not good customer service, I now want to go apple.

NikNikS
Visitor

I seem to have a working solution:

I experienced exactly the same problems as people have described here. Phone would randomly auto shutoff (and in some cases restart). I thought it may be related to network access or file IO as the restarts seemed more often when using the phone more heavily or when in transit and moving across areas of low network/signal quality (interestingly at work where we have a very strong signal it restarted less frequently). I had reset the phone and removed and reinstalled all apps as suggested by Sony. Waste of time. Kept happening. I was reluctantly about to send the phone to Sony although with little hope of them being able to resolve it based on comments here when it struck me that the behavior was very similar to how the phone shuts down when the battery is drained. As far as I could tell my battery was good. It hadn't suffered any of the problems that people have reported elsewherewith incorrect charged status and seemed to charge and discharge linearly but figured that I would see if a new battery solved the problem. It did. I replaced the battery this time last week and no restarts at all since. Previously it would have gone 10 to 20 times per day (the ones I would know about as there were probably more when I wasn't watching).

I can't guarantee this but in my situation it worked for me.

Word of warning: I bought a replacement battery on eBay. Read the reviews carefully. The first one I bought just didn't even charge! however the second one from a different seller works an absolute treat.

Hope this helps others. I was very close to hitting it with a hammer as it was so frustrating but now I have my Xperia V back and It's great again !!

If this does prove to be the solution and others can confirm we should be pushing Sony to ship replacement batteries as a matter of course to anyone who expriences this. @Alexander and the rest of the Sony Xperia Support Staff please can you comment on whether Sony will do this.

shalu
Visitor

No it does not help. My phone still reboots. However if I put any music application running in the background, it does not shutdown and works just fine.

I have also done software upgrade from the link and it does solve the problem either.

Service center  says I need to change the motherboard. I have already got it changed once in warranty for different reason and now it is out of warranty and I do not want to spend so much money to get new motherboard again.

It is serious bad quality product. Please suggest what to do?

Regards,

Shailesh

Mob. (+91) 9818997621

zahoor
Visitor

Dear SONY

It's frustrating that i bought your product XPERIA V. I have the same problem as explained in this forum.

Even after the SONY service center has looked into this problem the same exists.

Unable to bear the problem i have gone for factory settings still the problem exists 

Please keep upto your reputation otherwise you will lose mobile market.  Give us SOLUTION that works.

cyn
Visitor

I have the same issues you all are describing.  I did some sort of update shortly after getting the phone and it has been down hill from there.  I have tried to reset it and everything.  Only had the phone about 6 weeks!  It has shut off in the middle of phone calls, when I am trying to take a picture, in the middle of texting, while online...it doesn't seem to matter what I am doing, it just does it.  It literally just shut off while I was typing this, just sitting there, plugged in.  I am so mad!

arturiu
Visitor

Guys,

I have two Xperia V at home (one is mine, the other one is from my wife's), bought at different times this year and from different channels.

Mine has .145 and my wife's has .140 firmware (carrier did not made update available). They're both unlocked from any carrier.

Apart from LTE instability (sometimes I had reboots, so I disabled it) none of the two Vs have these kind of unacceptable issues.

Was I lucky ?

Don't think so...

If you allow me, there are some things you should try in order to identify the root cause. Go through each one of these steps, one by one, and move to the next if you still face the issue:

1. Do a firmware repair, using Sony's software

Update Service (SUS)

PC Companion (PCC)

Bridge (for Mac)

Note: this is not the same as factory reset, as it will re-install the firmware

2. Test it for a few days without installing 3rd party apps (there are many badly designed apps out there)

3. Don't activate Settings - Power Management - Extended Standby Mode

4. Disable LTE, as this has proved to create phone instability (Sony should really fix this)

5. Make sure your battery is in good condition (may be damaged) - ask Sony center for a test battery, if possible

6. If after this you still have reboots, then there seems to be a hardware fault and you should send the phone for repair/replacement via Sony Center customer support.

There is also something you may try:

If you have a locked phone which has a firmware assembled by your carrier, there is the chance that something was not tested properly. If that is the case, you may want to consider installing an alternative ROM, although this may void your warranty. Have a look at these forum discussions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-t-v/v-development

FernandoDbw
Visitor

I had the same problem like you.... First my phone shutdown every 2 or 3 days, then 1 at day, the every hour, every 20 minutes for the last i cant turn on my phone because it shut down in the starting animation. I send my phone to the servce center and they told me that was the proccesor and the memory that was giving the problem. But one intersting thing its that when i had the phone plugged to the computer or the charger it dosnt happen. My phone was on for hours whe it was pluged. Then I read that the problem was in the battery I ordered one and Right now my phone has 6 hours without any problem... I can say that its works and the mainly problem its the battery... Sorry for my bad english 😃 ... So try and coment if for someone else it works 😃

Snoopimaru
Visitor

Somehow I think this issue is software related, could be I'm just hoping it's not more serious than that.

oggioffshore
Visitor

So, whats going on with this issue, will Sony do anything?

Its amazing quiet from Sony.

I have 2 V`s with the same issue in our family... very disapointing that sony can deliver such a bad product, and even dont give us any support.

No more  Sony`s

Dizzy_Face