Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia V keeps shutting down by itself

Yui
Visitor

Sony Xperia V keeps shutting down by itself

I would like to know why my phone keeps turning off by itself?!

I got my phone in March, however recently, after updating the system on my phone, whenever I use an app, it automatically shuts down.

Sometimes, it just shuts down after the system has booted

This is extremely irritating!!

I am extremely disappointed after switching phone brands to Sony phone for the first time.

My previous phone does not face such a problem when I use my SIM card on it.

Please enlighten me on how to rectify the problem.

42 REPLIES 42
GrahamL
Visitor

Yesterday my phone started turning off just as it's about to get to the unlock screen and it keeps doing it - OFF/ON/OFF/ON whilts it is plugged in to a charger. When it's not, it does it until battery is drained.

Googled the issue, found dozens of other people here with similar issues. Annoying or what?!

I haven't done anything yet but I tell you what - I want EE to swap it back for an iPhone, had an iPhone 4 before 'upgrading' to this and it was fine, no problems whatsoever.

pgv
Visitor

I have sort of the same problem. My phone shuts itself of at random times. Worst is when it does so when charging overnight and alarm does not ring. Yesterday morning I saw this happening just after I shut off the alarm the the phone made the battery empty sound and battery indicator turned red and showed 0% and phone shut down. I restarted it and batterylevel was 100% (it was plugged in and charging anyway all the time)
dmitryperets
Visitor

Hi,

I think there is a mixture of problems here.

There is one problem that keeps happening to many people after upgrading to 4.3 - the phone turns off automatically after being completely charged. So you leave it for charging during the night, the battery reaches 100%, then suddenly it jumps to 0% and the phone shuts down. Not reboots! Shuts down! So you have to power it on manually. If you have an alarm clock... too bad, it won't ring. This problem seems to be with the software itself! It happens immediately after the installation of the phone via PC Companion or SUS. To me it happens few times a week. It is totally frustrating.

Another problem is periodic restarts. Again, it started happening to me after the biggest mistake of my life - upgrading to Sony's 4.3. Now it happens few times a week, when I am working with the phone. No pattern. Sometimes when I am browsing, sometimes when I am listening to Walkman, sometimes when I am trying to chat. The phone crashes and reboots automatically.

Many people like to blame apps in such cases. I am sorry, this is not acceptable for two reasons. First: the same apps worked well for almost a year with 4.1.2. All the issues started only after the upgrade. What a co-incidence, right? 

Second, even if an app causes the phone to crash, I am sorry, but Sony is the one to blame. An app shouldn't cause OS crash. If it is not a driver, and if the phone is not rooted. In the worst case scenario, the app should crash itself. But not the entire OS. 

But some people in this thread describe more serious problems when the phone keeps restarting all the time or turns off few minutes after turning on. This is different! And this can be just a hardware issue. I would definitely go to the service center in this case.

So "phone is restarting" or "phone is shutting down" is a too generic symptom! 

putneychap
Visitor

Yup, same issue with a new handset I got about a month ago.  I tried it in safe mode, all was ok, so I suspected an app that I had downloaded... but which one?  I then started removing all the apps that I had downloaded, one by one, testing the handset as normal after each removal, until I found the app that was causing the problem.  AVG antivirus app was the culprit.  Once that had gone, my handset operated as expected and hasn't turned off once.  So... my phone is possibly vulnerable to virus attack, but at least I can use it when I want and can start downloading more apps.

razzs
Visitor

updated my xperia m to 4.3 and within a week of updating my phone automatically went off now thought sony service care person have downgraded my phone to 4.1 but still the problem seem to be there.
As of now I can say it is solely the problem with firmware updating.... my biggest mistake shouldn't have update my phone
AmirAhmad
Visitor

We bought Xperia V about a year  ago and now we have similar problems like others. Will Sony provide a solution for this problem or we have to throw our phone away and buy a new one(Not Xperia V surely)?

P3t374
Visitor

I had this problem with a Sony Xperia L. It would shut down after going into sleep mode and swiping on again, or when on the phone and other random use. After playing around I found the BBC weather app would crash 100% when trying to update the weather so I removed the app. Since then, the phone has worked perfectly.

sony_lover
Visitor

yes this happens to my phone too Face_with_Steam_from_Nose

VamVin
Visitor

I have been experiencing this problem for over 3 days and it was deeply frustating. Phone used to switch off and reboot during conversations and while browsing. 

I restored the phone to factory settings and it seems to be working fine.  Suggest take a complete backup and restore phone to factory settings and it should be fine.

@GrahamL wrote:

Yesterday my phone started turning off just as it's about to get to the unlock screen and it keeps doing it - OFF/ON/OFF/ON whilts it is plugged in to a charger. When it's not, it does it until battery is drained.

Googled the issue, found dozens of other people here with similar issues. Annoying or what?!

I haven't done anything yet but I tell you what - I want EE to swap it back for an iPhone, had an iPhone 4 before 'upgrading' to this and it was fine, no problems whatsoever.

SpitfireIX
Visitor

I was Sony loyal for many years until now.I'm on the way from galway to Dublin now and I'm even not in Athlone and my Xperia turn off for third time.I use same applications like other android phones but just Xperia getting crazy