Join now - be part of our community!

Thumbnail : Filling up Internal Storage

SOLVED
Ashroft98
Enthusiast

Thumbnail : Filling up Internal Storage

Hey folks!

Okay,my problem starts when i start just exploring internal storage(and wonder what had really fill up my internal memory),then i met with the folder "DCIM"->".thumbnails" and i found two .thumbdata3 with 384MB each(makes it roughly 750MB,combined) and below them are thumbnail of my pictures(sizing 20kb each)..My phone had kept thumbnails from my pictures and videos eversince the first time it was switched on.When i deleted a picture in Album app,the thumbnail of it is still there.How do i overcome with this issue?And SONY,what is it inside ".thumbdata3" that in such took too much space in my internal storage?

Screenshot_2013-11-22-08-11-00[2].png

Any advice and tips would be appreciated 

BR from Ashroft

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

You can delete the thumbnail folder, your phone will create a new folder, you can do so with a file manager 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

You can delete the thumbnail folder, your phone will create a new folder, you can do so with a file manager 

Ashroft98
Enthusiast

You mean,if I delete that folder,the phone will create another "thumbdata3" file with only the latest thumbnails of my pictures?Which literally use lesser space?
Ashroft98
Enthusiast

Thanks alot pal!
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

Anytime

NutMagnet3
Visitor

Many thanks for this tip...

I seemed to be spending more time updating the apps on the phone than actually using it.. Pretty much filled up the internal memory with these thumbnails on my Sony Xperia Miro and I've been deleting the cache and history every time an app wants to update to make space..

I found this folder a while back but thought it would cause problems if I deleted the thumbnails.

:smileysmileywink: Happy days..

NM

Auxperia
Visitor

even after u delete the thumbnaildatas it get hide still occupies the memory

martius
Visitor

Hi,

so I see that problem is well known and I  can confirm that it still exists. I have been using xperia z5 compact with latest updates for 1 year. My 2 thumbnails files have grown to 1 GB each! As you sugested, I deleted my photos from phone as well as the thumbnail folder but it didnt help. I still can not free memory on my phone.

Is there any working solutions for this problem?

skaterpoem
Visitor

I'm using Xperia Z3 Compact and I have the same problem. 

I delete thumbnail folder which is around 1,5 GB but after a while it reappear again with almost same amount of file size.

I found this solution from this forum and it looks like worked for me for now.

EDIT: I used Es File Explorer.

1. delete the ".thumbnails" folder in the "DCIM" folder

2. after deleting, create a new file and name it ".thumbnails". (Create a new "file" not a "folder")