Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to assign MyMusic as Custom Ringtone

SOLVED
chris22110fr
Visitor

Unable to assign MyMusic as Custom Ringtone

Have Xperia S, Android 4.1.2 Build 6.2.B.0.200, since upgrade I have not been able to set personal ringtones for any of my contacts.  Prior to upgrade could edit ringtone in contact by selecting contact, ringtone and treble clef in top right corner to access my music files.  Since up grade this option seems to have disappeared.  Tried to assign ringtone to a new contact and all I seem to be offered were standard Sony ringtones.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug with this Build?  I use personalised ringtones a lot and would like to be able to do it again.

Any help gratefully received.

chris22110fr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chris22110fr
Visitor

When I was refering to default, I ment the app or tools used to access the data.  I am almost certain that when I used to access ringtones I got the same heading as you in your second images, sound picker with the musical note.  What I think my have happened is that tool has somehow got set to something else.

To answer your previous question, music is stored in folder named Music.

I have come across a backup of the phone which is about 2 weeks old, done before upgrade to Build 6.2.B.0.200, I think I might run this and see what happens.

Hi Thommo, have just located solution , needed to reset Apps pereference, now get Sound Picker when I click ringtone dropdown list.

Thanks for your input.

chris22110fr

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Thommo
Genius

Open your contacts select the contact then in the top right corner you'll see a silhouette with what looks like a pencil about to be stuck in to the head - Select that icon then scroll to the bottom where you can select individual ringtones

chris22110fr
Visitor

Hi Thommo, thanks for your answer, have tried this method, but in the Ringtone dropdown list I only get standard Sony ringtones listed.  I cannot seem to find an option (like the musical note symbol) that allows you to switch to your own music library like on previous versions.  The list I get starts with Default ringtone (which is a personal one I had already selected from my music library) then just lists all the Sony ringtones.

I also tried modifying a contact on which I had already set a ringtone from my music library before update.  Under Ringtone it names the personalised ringtone, but when I select dropdown list again it only lists Sony ringtones.

Cheers

chris22110fr

Thommo
Genius

So as per my earlier post I've click on the default ringtone seen below, I've then got a musical note in the top right which opens up my music and there as you can see is the one album which can be opened and the individual tracks applied as a ringtone

Screenshot_2013-06-18-21-04-51.png

Screenshot_2013-06-18-21-02-22.png

Screenshot_2013-06-18-21-13-44.png

chris22110fr
Visitor

Hi Thommo, thanks again for answer. Get the same first screen as you, but my dropdown list is different. My list is not titled Sound Picker, but just Ringtones. Is there a possibility that a default has got set and not allowing me to pick Sound Picker?

Thommo
Genius

Is your music in a music folder if not create a music folder and place all albums or mp3's in there within this create a folder like custom ringtones etc if you wish to and stick those ringtones in there - I'm not 100% on this but I believe it may look for keywords like Music (The folder) before allowing the option but i'm not 100%

chris22110fr
Visitor

Will have to hook phone up to PC to check which folder music is in.  Another thing is previously when accessing ringtones I used to get ask what to use, and whether to use it all the time or just once, this doesn't happen anymore. Hence my question how a default being set. Is there anyway to check this?

chris22110fr

Thommo
Genius

Default means it will use the same ringtone for all contacts unless you have specified a ringtone as per my post above - As to what ICS was like and how it worked i've no idea - My son went from GB to JB and uses the default for all his friends

chris22110fr
Visitor

When I was refering to default, I ment the app or tools used to access the data.  I am almost certain that when I used to access ringtones I got the same heading as you in your second images, sound picker with the musical note.  What I think my have happened is that tool has somehow got set to something else.

To answer your previous question, music is stored in folder named Music.

I have come across a backup of the phone which is about 2 weeks old, done before upgrade to Build 6.2.B.0.200, I think I might run this and see what happens.

Hi Thommo, have just located solution , needed to reset Apps pereference, now get Sound Picker when I click ringtone dropdown list.

Thanks for your input.

chris22110fr

Daughter69
Visitor

THANK THANK YOU THANK YOU,,,I have been going crazy for past few days and thanks to your entry I have managed to get the ringtone music icon!, WHOO HOO 😄