Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia Arc S LT18i How to update the software?

CaseyCrazy
Visitor

Xperia  Arc S LT18i Как обновить программное обеспечение?

GT

11 REPLIES 11
Jonas
Master

Hi @CaseyCrazy, welcome to our forum!

Your question has been translated to English as this is an International forum.

The Xperia Arc S has reached it's end of support and you are no longer able to update the software in your device as it is no longer available on the servers.

I hope that answers your question! Slightly_smiling_Face

fabiola1
Visitor

How cani reset my phone ?

Jonas
Master

Hi @fabiola1,

To factory reset your Xperia Arc S, go to Settings > Privacy > tap "Factory data reset" > tap "Reset phone" and to confirm tap "Erase everything".

I hope that helps! Slightly_smiling_Face

JoeKnapp
Visitor

Jones, my LT18i has OS 2.3.4 which came with the new phone. As I was not a heavy user of the phone I never got interested in doing any upgrading. Now suddenly I have friends bugging me to  have WHATSAPP. Well no luck loading that.

My question is: What is the most up to date OS for this phone ?

Note: I had no luck with "Xperia Companion" seeing the connected phone to the PC but the old "PC Companion" did succeed. The message I get from it is that my software is up to date. Is that because there is nothing to update to ?

PS: I just tried the "Update your Xperia™". After entering the number I get this message,

"Sorry, the information is currently not available. Please try again later."

???

Regards

Jonas
Master

Hi @JoeKnapp, I apologize for the late reply.

The Arc S received Android 4.0, however since the device has now reached it's end of support, you will not be able to update to this Android version. Slightly_frowning_Face

I don't use Whatsapp myself, but I assume that the requirements are Android 4.0 or higher, as this is almost the default requirements for most applications these days.

Xperia Companion was never compatible with the Xperia Arc S, that is why the program can't find the device and Xperia Companion replaced PC Companion about 2 years ago, so it might not be fully working with the end of support messages as it has not been maintained since back then.

In your case, the honest answer is, if you want to use Whatsapp you will need to get a hold of a device with a newer Android version.

JoeKnapp
Visitor

Thank You Jones for that info.

Yes, "Xperia Companion" informed me that there is no support for Arc S ONLY when I did not follow the instruction on the screen when using the "Repair" option. For Arc S one needs to use "Return" key and not the "Volume Down" key. THEN one will get a message enlightening one of the situation.

S-E Arc S LT18i (phone which I have) is a darn good phone. For my needs (Phone, SMS, Picture , Navigation) it is more than enough. I bought the phone because of the quality of the pictures. Thus I was not interested in chasing the next best model and waisting money.

For those who need to upgrade to ICS 4.0.4 I know the process cold. I am a good PC user but I was never interested in Android UNTIL I needed to install WhatsApp. It can be done for LT18i and it is not too hard.

I am a bit disappointed (I might be wrong here) but the rom for ICS 4.0.4 I found NOT THROUGH Sony but from a guy in Poland of all places. For rooting needs 4.0.3 Kernal was needed (to use DoomLord) which AGAIN the guy in Poland (on Youtube) provided.

Not Nice Sony to just abandon your "children". Life is not just about "Business Model". There is still a LOT of these phones around !!!!! Samsung and Apple are feeling the bit from "manipulating" the game in Italy.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @JoeKnapp!

I agree with you, it's not a bad phone at all, however since we do not provide software for it any longer, there is no way to update it using our services, but as you wrote, you can use other sources and ways to update the device.

For more information regarding unlocking the bootloader and so forth, I would recommend that you take a look at our Developer World board, as I won't be able to provide any support for this.

36201fc-466a-95
Visitor

Jonas
Master

Hi @36201fc-466a-956d-b6, welcome to our community!

I'm afraid that you can't update the software in your Xperia Arc S as the device has reached end of support and we no longer provide software for this device.

I hope that answers your question at least!