Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia S Battery Drain

SOLVED
Not applicable

Xperia S Battery Drain

I know we're dealing with Android OS here, which isnt the greatest when it comes to battery life but even after setting all connections to manual sync the battery drops rather quickly. Is it just me or is anyone else having the same issue. Lets see if we can get a Bug Fix out of this. 

124 REPLIES 124
Not applicable

I just left my phone on the desk for 30 mins, black screen, doing absolutely nothing, battery drained by 3% ... heaven help me if I decided to use the thing for 30 mins. Battery dead.

Not applicable

screenshot_2012-03-23_0101.png

This is a huge drain

From 100% to 51% in 7,5 hours. Everything energy consuming was off; screen, autosync, wifi, bluetooth, gps, 3g. Still it drained 49% in such a short time in standby mode. This is ridiculous.

Sam
Legend
Legend

How long have you had the handset for? As outlined by Markus further up in this thread “New batteries tend to need some time before reaching top performance. You will hopefully notice improvements as time goes by over the first weeks."

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Not applicable

So this is the usage in standymode:

screenshot_2012-03-23_1206_1.png

And here the drain:, from 99%  to 78% in standby. Everything off again.

screenshot_2012-03-23_1207.png

Not applicable

This is a joke right? You are talking about a new battery that should outperform itself from day one rather than have 2 weeks proper charging before it reaches it potential. I've never had this answer, ever, before with any device.

Actually take a good hard look at the battery drain issue seriously. My battery drained overnight on standby with everything off (wifi, internet, backlight etc.) from 36 percent to 10 percent. You cannot justify this to customers. I bought this device because my Nokia had extremely leakage with the battery and now I get this which is even worse than a 2 year old nokia.

Tweakers.net (a dutch tech website) tested the performance of the xperia S properly and saw that the battery drain in standby comes from the device actually going constantly out and into standby constantly. After a full reset and reboot, putting the device on standby, it went dead after 25 hours on standby. They told sony about this and they said it is a software bug.

So instead of the joke answer that it is because the battery is 'new' I'd rather hear from you when the fix for this issue is coming because I am about to return the device. No new 430 euro phone should give me nonsense like this. I can leave my ipad on for a week and the battery is will hardly have drained 2 percent, with everything on in the background including syncing.

Not applicable

i have always got 15-18 hours from my phone and i have gps wifi and data on constantly throughout the day

Not applicable

please someone help me.!!!

my xperia s also has a battery drain issue. it will easily eat up 50% of the battery with the display! even with backlight of and the brightness at around 25% permanently.

i can turn the phone on in the morning 100% never touch it at all not even to look at the lock screen for an hour. i click the power button and 8% battery drain. to say its shocking wouldnt do it justice.

screenshot_2012-03-27_1753[1].pngscreenshot_2012-03-27_1754[1].png

Not applicable

Yes WehnerW that was me. I have actually deleted A LOT of junk from the phone. The main 5 screen show off menu shit. Such as the photo viewer, moving wallpaper (static one instead now, much nicer too), facebook integration, twitter integration, photo and movie integration. Cleaned up a whole lot of the home screen and sure did improve some battery performance as well as lag on the phone.

AskeRahn I also deleted the Task manager like you said it might help, so let's do some testing.

I have charger the phone overnight while being 'off' rather than standby. Going to see how it goes today when compared to yesterday and the previous 'report', after that I will try the 'only UMTS' thing and the battery reset that have been proposed. It is worthless that WE the customers of new phones are working our buts off in limiting this problem and still no official word from Sony. What a company.. off to work now 😉

Not applicable

Hi I recently got an Xperia S and have started playing around with it. I too have to say that the biggest dissapointment is the battery life and I have reduced the screen brightness and deleted alot of apps. Two things I noticed. When the phone signal is low this seems to increase the amount of power consumption dramatically. It seems to be better using wifi (why? no idea). An issue too is that charging using the USB port on say my laptop is really slow. I hope this improves wth some software upgrades.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

that's how any phone will work, the lower the signal the phone will use more power. that's normal, the S doesn't have a great battery life at all, but the latest firmware seems to improve this slightly (.73) go to settings -> about phone and check which build number do you have.

again charging a phone through a laptop not a wallcharger will take a LONG time, that is NORMAL. is this your first android/smartphone?