Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon problems again - July 2016

profile.country.en_GB.title
stewmcghie

Amazon problems again - July 2016

I have a KDL40ex320. It is now asking me to log in for Amazon prime but will not accept my email address / password. Is anyone else having problems at the moment ?

considering ditching amazon and sony as fed with these sorts of issues !

11 REPLIES 11
stewmcghie

I have just checked my other Sony TV (KDL22ex320) and it has the same problem so something has changed with the "system". I can log into Amazon with my PC and so I am using the correct email and password.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive sent a message to one of my Sony contacts to see if there are any reported issues.  Will get back to you.

In the meantime, can you test another app like YouTube, just to rule out network connectivity issues.

Cheers

stewmcghie

I have now been told by Amazon that they are not supporting Sony TVs older than 2013 !  That means both my TVs are not supported. What with Youtube and BBC iplayer also pulling support I don't really see the point of the internet capabilities in the TVs anymore. All the other video apps are rubbish. I would switch to Netflix but that is not supported either. I will cancel my Amazon sub 

Edited for supporting illegal activities - EdU

stewmcghie

I was being sarcastic about illegal downloads : )   My point being that making good content available at a sensible price has been the most sucessful way to disuade people and therefore to then make it more difficult again seems like a backward step, or do you hope that people will just throw out a perfectly good TV and go buy a new one ?  Anyway I can get Netflix on my youview box and so will try them....but I will be wary about the wonders of smart TVs in the future.

itswal
New

Hi, just wondered do you have something on amazons site saying that they have cancelled support for older tvs. its quite annoying as its worked all this time, and then an update goes on and now means that im going to have to buy a firestick in order to use prime on the tv.

would have been nice to know a few days ago when i could have bought an amazon firestick for 15 quid

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I fed this issue back to Sony when it was first raised.  Im waiting on them to issue a statement, but from all accounts it does appear that Amazon have ceased support on older TVs and Devices.  According to Amazon, this is what is currently supported by them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/ontv/devices

Cheers

stewmcghie

Have you noticed that they are still supporting older LG and Samsung TVs.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

UK consumer law applies, albeit with decreasing effect year by year, for up to six years.

It seems to me that if you buy a TV, which was launched with an advertised service on a certain date in 2013, you should have a reasonable expectation that that service will last until at least the same date in 2019.

A couple of reasonable provisos perhaps; the TV launch date, not your purchase date. And a service that is continuing on other devices, not one where the service supplier has failed completely.

Though I do think the law might not require either proviso.

But the basic message needs to be, for Amazon, the BBC, Netflix and so on, that when they put a service on a device, they are in for the long haul, and are accepting an obligation to support that service, on that device, for at least six years.

Thus the BBC iPlayer being discontinued on 2010 Bravias is reasonable, just; but Amazon being discontinued on 2013 sets is not, and gives the owner of such a set exactly the same rights that they would have if their set went faulty at this time.

Not a full refund, perhaps, given the use the set has had, but I would be asking for 50% of the purchase price back when returning the set.

Bit of a blunt instrument, alas, as you have to seek redress from the retailer, who will then seek redress from the TV manufacturer, who will finally (perhaps) complain to the app provider, so Amazon themselves would be somewhat well insulated from your ire.

But a message would be being sent......

Anybody want to be the test case?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
pedro_dodriguez
Explorer

Anyone having trouble accessing Amazon Video on a Sony TV where the app previously worked but no longer does, here's a recommendation:

This happened to me. I used it on my 2011 Bravia for years, then the other week it stopped working, logged me out and wouldn't allow me back in. Annoying!

A search on the Amazon Prime site revealed my 'old' TV is no longer among the compatible devices, along with all Sony TVs older than a couple of years.

Thanks Sony, and Amazon! You pulled support for the app without warning me, and searching around this forum and Amazon Video's forum, lots of people are having the same issue - and neither company seem prepared to acknowledge what's going on, let alone offer a solution.

So, here's what you could try: if you already pay for Amazon Video and have suddenly had access removed on your Sony TV, contact Amazon Video through their Help page, and request someone to call you back and explain the issue... they'll auto-call you almost instantly.

Tell the agent you're unhappy, get them to look into it and email you updates etc BUT don't give up - if they can't fix it, tell them you'll cancel your Amazon Video subscription unless they provide a way for you to access it on your TV...

They'll probably offer you a FireStick at half-price (about £17.50), and if you reject that they'll offer it to you FREE. Seems like that's their official 'workaround' policy at the moment. You can watch Amazon Video plus iPlayer, 4OD, Netflix etc via the Firestick. Problem solved.

Feel free to share this - I don't know how long they'll do this for but it's worth a try. I'm fairly sure Amazon won't be re-adding older devices back to their compatible list after not giving any info on the situation for weeks now, and it seems like Sony don't have anything official to say on the matter either - yet.

Worth a shot. This should have been handled better by both companies so if it costs Amazon a few Firesticks, what the hell. Good luck!