Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer app has disappeared!

profile.country.GB.title
antaylor111
Explorer

BBC iPlayer app has disappeared!

The BBC iPlayer app has disappeared from both my Sony smart TV (KDL-46HX853) and my Sony Blu-Ray player

(BDP-S790).

Have these apps been removed from Sony devices or is there something wrong with my devices? I have checked through all the menus multiple times and the iPlayer app is definitely not there,

any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Tags (1)
26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.GB.title
pauphill3
Explorer

The BBC have changed the iPlayer feeds without notice to users
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

For 2012 TVs, the BBC iPlayer upgraded to V4 from the 22 Oct.  You will need to perform a "Refresh Internet Content" from the network menu.  Try doing the same for the bluray player too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
antaylor111
Explorer

Thanks but I have tried multiple times to do refresh internet content but iplayer app never appears afterwards on either the TV or the blu-ray player...

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@antaylor111 

I wondered if this had something to do with it but I cannot see any mention of your model numbers in the lists.

BBC İPlayer to stop working on Home Audio and Video products

Fingers crossed it's something easier to fix.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.en_GB.title
cobaird37
Explorer

This happened to me with my BDP-S570 Blu-ray Disc player. BBC no longer support this version of i player:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/bbc-iplayer-announcement

Sorry for bad news

profile.country.GB.title
antaylor111
Explorer

Great, the latest software update for my Sony TV has installed the latest version of iPlayer and it is working fine, a much better version than the previous version.

profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

@antaylor111 That's great news – and thanks for the follow-up!

Always nice to see our Community celebrate the positive :party: 

profile.country.en_GB.title
Pedro126
Explorer

I have a Sony home theatre system I bought in 2012 the BDV - E370. THe machine was purchased for two primary purposes playing blu ray discs and the BBC iPlayer. One does not expect that  part of the machine will become obsolete after 2 years.

Now Sony may claim that this is due to factors beyond their control, and that may be true, but this does not absolve them from their obligations under UK consumer law.

So they have to either put in place some mechanism to rectify the situation, this might mean a replacemnt chip or whatever, or they have to compensate their customer for the loss of this functionality, which was major part of the original product offering.

In fact this matter has been raised in UK parliament by MPs on behalf of their constituents who bought these units and corresponding smart TVs which after 2 years don't look so smart.

So the situation, is not one of washing of hands of these obligations but rather is a situation which is being investigated. Therefore to other users in the same situation, please contact your MP, and register your complaint.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There

@Pedro126 wrote:

I have a Sony home theatre system I bought in 2012 the BDV - E370. THe machine was purchased for two primary purposes playing blu ray discs and the BBC iPlayer. One does not expect that  part of the machine will become obsolete after 2 years.

Your BDV-E370 was released in 2010 - It matters not when you purchased it.  In terms of use, the player is not obsolete, simply the fact that BBC has withdrawn its use of the iPlayer on certain models.  This is not unique to Sony either as other manufactuerers/brands are effected to. 

Pedro126 wrote

Now Sony may claim that this is due to factors beyond their control, and that may be true, but this does not absolve them from their obligations under UK consumer law.

I think you may need to re-read UK Consumer law.  Sony is not responsible or liable for third party entities that with to withdraw their services.  Sony's responsibility is in terms of the hardware you purchased as well as the software in with it is needed to run the hardware (ie the operating system).

@Pedro126 wrote:

So they have to either put in place some mechanism to rectify the situation, this might mean a replacemnt chip or whatever, or they have to compensate their customer for the loss of this functionality, which was major part of the original product offering.

Sony's legal liability does not extend to the withdrawal of third party services.  At point of Sale, the BBC iPlayer was operational, and hence not mis-sold.  Also one cannot expect a company to support a service in-definately (ie Microsoft withdrawing support to legacy OS's and Programs like Windows XP).  Under EU law, the maximum for a consumer electronic device is 6 years (depending on what device) - however as stated, Sony is not responsible for the withdrawal of 3rd Party applications. 

@Pedro126 wrote:

In fact this matter has been raised in UK parliament by MPs on behalf of their constituents who bought these units and corresponding smart TVs which after 2 years don't look so smart.

Can you please provide a link to this - as I am interested to know.  However on reflection (a guess), I would imagine that this would be in conjuction with BBC and expectations that license payers have.  Hence probably not directly related to manufacturers like Sony.

@Pedro126 wrote:

So the situation, is not one of washing of hands of these obligations but rather is a situation which is being investigated. Therefore to other users in the same situation, please contact your MP, and register your complaint.

At the end of the day, if you are not happy with the withdrawal of the BBC iPlayer - complaining to the BBC is your first port of call - as you are the license payer. 

Cheers