Join now - be part of our community!

Anyone else totally disillusioned by Sony?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ellisjames
Visitor

Anyone else totally disillusioned by Sony?

I'm self employed. Had a hard but successful year in 2008 so rewarded myself by buying a new 40" tele. I'd narrowed it down to Sony or Panasonic and based on a variety of reviews went for a KDL-40W4500.

Now, 10months out of warranty, the TV needs a completely new screen. About two months ago the right hand side of the screen became streaked with black and dark areas, gradually worsening until most of the right half of the screen was shrouded in darkness.

I arranged a repair through Sony with a local authorised repair company. They collected the unit, and have confirmed that it needs a replacement screen. Total price: £480.

Sony's 'good will' has extended to an offer of 50% towards the repair.

Repair? It's a replacement of 90% of the TV. The same TV retails brand new for around £580 now.

As it's out of warranty, I didn't expect to get anything for free but was totally dismayed by Sony's attitude that I've simply had bad luck with their product. It's clearly a manufacturing fault - there are numerous posts on AVForum about exactly the same problem, all suspiciously occuring within weeks of mine.

I bought a Sony bluray player at the same time as the tele, and a year later a Sony digital photo frame. The Bluray player has developed issues as well.

They will be the last Sony products I ever buy, and I will spread the word of my experience as widely as possible. What I've been offered isn't a gesture of 'good will' as that implies no responsibility on Sony's part. I bought into a promise created by the brand and have been let down, something Sony doesn't seem at all bothered to rectify.

£1100 TVs should last longer than 22 months. A Sony customer should not be expected to have to pay a further 25% of the original cost to 'maintain' the TV.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Mikearky

Manuals are all here  - http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/tv/lcd/lcd.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-32EX403

Just select the model you have.

If you are having a technical issue with your TV, maybe best call the call centre or get it swapped out by the store from where you bought it perhaps?

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
unhappycustomer
Visitor

You are definately not alone. See my message on this board titled "Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

You are the third person on this discussion board with a similar issue and it appears  that you are the only one who has taken it though to conclusion. Perhaps we should all get together as we would have a much louder voice than individually.

anmakin81
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem with my KDL-40W4500.

When I turn it on it corrupts the screen for a random amount of time.  It then clears but this morning the corruption has started to come back again.

I purchased mine from Amazon in Nov 2008 with a 3 year Sony Warranty.

My issue is that I can't find my Warranty information as I have moved house.

I seem to keep going around in circles on this Website trying to find someone to help me.

Plus of course the Telephone number only works Monday - Friday during offices hours.  I'm busy at work so can't call then.

Come on Sony do the proper thing and admit there is a design fault and fix these TV's for free.

I have lots of Sony products, Gigajuke, PS3, New Walkman etc but I would have to think twice about purchasing another TV from you if you are going to cut costs on quality.

I await to hear from you urgently.

Andy

garryallen
Visitor

Hi Andy, I'm in the same boat as you, I bought mine from Amazon in December 2008 but didnt take up the guarantee, believing that Sony still pruduce a quality product that would last for years like my previous TV's.

I'm hoping mine will keep going over christmas so my son can use his PS3. If it doesnt then the PS3 will be my last Sony purchase.

This problem with the screen failures is begining to look like a major problem and Sony need to realise this and deal with this in the proper manner or the public will lose faith in the brand. It may cost them in the short term but this is one of the biggest corporations in the world and would be a small price to pay for good PR.

Garry.

dcallen
Visitor

hi me and a friend bought the w4500 and with in 2 weeks of each other have developed the same problem  luckily we have a 5 year warranty with the set so have managed  to get it repaired  but how long is it going to last this time

i contacted sony who were no help at all just saying not a common problem with these and that you only get a years warranty .

you expect some help from them as this tv cost 1200 and for it to last 2 years is rubbish also we have a ps3 which keeps overheating which many seem to do but sony want nothing to do with this either it just seems that most sony products have a 2 year life span except for my radio alarm clock which i have had for 10yrs and still works now

mifrank53
Visitor

Under the sales of goods act you  are covered for up to 6 years, as an expensive item you should expect it to last longer than a year or so. Take a look at this web page for details

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/make-your-money-go-further/money-saving-tips/when-electrical-goods-go-...

having just brought a KDL40EX713 I hope it lasts for more than a couple of years!

mikearky
Visitor

YES bought a Sony LCD TV few days ago manual useless can't get one from the Sony site, problem picture goes light and dark no solution on Sony website, moving figure blur when picture id dark again no solution on Sony website, this is the first and last time I buy Sony

TominLondon
Visitor

Hmmmmm thanks, guys, I've now made sure I've registered my new Bravia on the Sony website. It's not clear whether doing so activates the guarantee. But then nothing about this TV is clear. Except the picture, which looks pretty good (after 1 day of use  :slight_smile: )

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Mikearky

Manuals are all here  - http://support.sony-europe.com/tvhc/tv/lcd/lcd.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-32EX403

Just select the model you have.

If you are having a technical issue with your TV, maybe best call the call centre or get it swapped out by the store from where you bought it perhaps?

Thanks

wilsonmfw

It seems that SONY are a law unto themselves.  They make too many versions of the same thing outdating something as soon as you have purchased it then a little way doen the line you find that there is no longer adequate, if any, support. All my equipment is Sony and includes TV, Blu-Ray, main amp and speakers, Gigajuke, VAIO laptops, etc. I recently found the Gigajuke getting a bit slow and low and behold, apparently no updates for the firmware or software as apparently, no longer supported.  If SONY focussed more on making a 'solid' product with good long-term backup instead of trying to outdate their products within days of them hitting the shelves I might have a more positive attitude!  A liked the look of the Brennan (does similar job to Gigajuke albeit appears to lack the internet connection) but then why should I spend money just because SONY doesn't really care once it has got your money!