Join now - be part of our community!

ARC Not Working on my Sony KDL50W829

SOLVED
GregStagg
Explorer

ARC Not Working on my Sony KDL50W829

Good Evening

I'm having some issues with ARC - before I even start I imagine the answer to my question will be "It's not compatilbe." Though I thought I shoud check first!

I own a Sony KDL50W829 television and recently bought myself a Harman Kardon Sabre SB 35 soundbar. After a drunken christmas fumble i managed to get the sound bar up and running unfortunately without the ARC being functional.

HDMI 2 is the ARC enabled port, I have a HDMI connected to that going into the sound bar - HDMI TV i believe it's labelled. The sound did not work from the TV connecting just this HDMI cable, I connected the optical cable (after realising you had to take the weird bulb things off that is) and the sound worked.

I have changed the sound from TV speakers to sound system but for some reason cannot get the ARC to work using my television remote, it just says TV volume is fixed. I tried the Bravia Sync Settings option to no avail, but i assume that will only work with another Bravia device. I've either led mysef to believe ARC does something else, it's not compatible or I am missing something.

Is anyone able to assist?

Thanks!

Greg

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had check on both your HK soundbar and TV. They BOTH support HDMI-ARC. 

Specs for Soundbar is : HERE

Ensure that you have connected the HDMI cable from the HDMI 2 (ARC) port on your TV and the HDMI TV Port on your soundbar.  You will need a HDMI cable that supports ARC functions - most/all? modern HDMI cables do, however if you are using an old one, upgrade this to the a HDMI 1.4 cable.

In regards to adjusting the sound, ensure that you have selected the right 'source' on the soundbar.  Choose HDMI ARC.  Also ensure that HDMI-CEC functions are switch on, on the Soundbar, and Bravia-Sync is also active on the TV.  You should then be able to use your TV's remote to adjust the sound.  If not, see page 13 of the soundbars manual : HERE to program the remote control.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GregStagg
Explorer

Quick update - managed to get it working almost...

My new problem... When I turn the sound up and down the TV says "Audio System: Volume + (or - depending on turning up or down)." I press the mute key it says "Muting On/Off," though it doesn't actually do anything to sound levels or mute the TV.

Any ideas folks? I'm stumped.

Cheers again!

Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had check on both your HK soundbar and TV. They BOTH support HDMI-ARC. 

Specs for Soundbar is : HERE

Ensure that you have connected the HDMI cable from the HDMI 2 (ARC) port on your TV and the HDMI TV Port on your soundbar.  You will need a HDMI cable that supports ARC functions - most/all? modern HDMI cables do, however if you are using an old one, upgrade this to the a HDMI 1.4 cable.

In regards to adjusting the sound, ensure that you have selected the right 'source' on the soundbar.  Choose HDMI ARC.  Also ensure that HDMI-CEC functions are switch on, on the Soundbar, and Bravia-Sync is also active on the TV.  You should then be able to use your TV's remote to adjust the sound.  If not, see page 13 of the soundbars manual : HERE to program the remote control.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

GregStagg
Explorer

Thank you very much! All working now, turned out I just skipped a page in the instruction manual... Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome :slight_smile:

mirceahariton
Explorer

Hello,

I have the same problem with my Sony KDL-43808c and an av receiver NAD T748. Both are HDMI ARC compatible: the tv on HDMI 4 and the av receiver on HDMI output. I made all the settings from both technical manuals but this function doesn't work.

Mircea