Join now - be part of our community!

Avi Files

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
bob_mcbob
Visitor

Avi Files

Hi there,

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-37EX403 and also use a NAS drive to store all my music and films on.

I have read various topics on this furum and also throughout the net, and it seems that the bravia does not support playback of AVI files.  Infact when I try i can get to the relevant folder, but it doesnt see the avi files.

There are various workarounds (most of which wont help me as I want to use my NAS), however my question (hopefully Sony people read these):

It seems like the lack of support for AVI files is a huge flaw, one that competitors dont have, is there ever going to be a update to the firmware to improve this functionality?

Whats rather strange is my brother has a similar setup using an LG TV and a Sny blueray player.  Using the Sony blueray player he can stream avi from his NAS no problem.

My TV is excellent, by far the best I have ever had and up until now would have recommended it, however since more and more people download content and want to play AVI's I think this is a huge mistake.

Any feedback would be appriciated.  Merry Christmas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Bob

Some devices do support .avi files but might not support the encoder used to encode the content within the file wrapper.

BRAVIA and Blu-ray players don't support the same bunch of codecs unfortunately - Blu-ray has slightly better compatibility I think. Unlikely products will be  retroftted with new codecs I'm afraid. Unlike PS3 which is one device,  testing and certification for the many different TV's and Blu-ray  players in different territories would take up a massive amount of  resouce which is currently deployed on 2011 & 2012 product  development.

We are very aware that codec support is a concern and is being looked at for future products specifications.

Thanks for the feedback though - genuinly appreciated!

Happy Christmas

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Bob

Some devices do support .avi files but might not support the encoder used to encode the content within the file wrapper.

BRAVIA and Blu-ray players don't support the same bunch of codecs unfortunately - Blu-ray has slightly better compatibility I think. Unlikely products will be  retroftted with new codecs I'm afraid. Unlike PS3 which is one device,  testing and certification for the many different TV's and Blu-ray  players in different territories would take up a massive amount of  resouce which is currently deployed on 2011 & 2012 product  development.

We are very aware that codec support is a concern and is being looked at for future products specifications.

Thanks for the feedback though - genuinly appreciated!

Happy Christmas

bob_mcbob
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks alot for your reply, whilst it wasnt the answer I was hoping for it is much appriciated.  This lack of functionality stops this TV being an excellent product to more of an average one (as there are other TVs out there that do have this functionality as are no doubt cheaper than a Sony) and realistically would stop me recommending it (as the majority of people I know have a similar setup to me).

I would assume that the majority of people dont buy new TV's very often, however more and more people will be wanting this functionality, so being able to resolve this issue for current (as unless im wrong my TV isnt that old) as well as new models would be great for all your customers - obviously easier said then done.  However it would proove to customers and potential customers that Sony takes its customers needs very seriously and perhaps a step further then your competitors.

Cheers

Bob

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

If only there was a way to get a version of XBMC running on the Bravia series than the homebrew community would take care of and fixing compatability.

Do any manufacturers have an open source media player on their set?

EDIT.

Boy I bet the Sony support staff sure wish the design team made a more inclusive upgradable media player as standard.

This forum is littered with the same "lack of codec support" problem time after time.

Might be better to have a video playback FAQ.

Message was edited by: KDL-22PX300

profile.country.ru_RU.title
Artur_P
Visitor

Hi,

I have a similar problem

Several months ago I purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-26EX302. I really liked, including the fact that reads AVI files through the USB connector.

Therefore, I recently bought a KDL-46EX710 and was horrified to find that the AVI files it does not read. Can you help me solve a problem or better to get it back to the store?

Any feedback would be appriciated.  Merry Christmas

bob_mcbob
Visitor

Hi, if its anything like mine you may want to concider taking it back, as from the Sony guys comment above, it may not be possible (would be worth checking for your model though)

If, like you say the KDL-26EX302 supports AVI playback, it seems strange to me that Sony doesnt have that capability for models accross the range.  Are the differences between models (eg mine, and the two above) that significant that you cant take some of the code from one to use on the others?  Im obviously looking at this very simply - but if you know the coding to make AVI's play surely you can quite easily reuse/adjust it abit for other models and roll it out??

profile.country.GB.title
babydinosaur
Explorer

I'm not sure if this is of any use for your model, but for my KDL-32EX503, all I do is rename the extension of my AVI files from .avi to .divx, and it's worked on almost all instances.

You might want to give that a try - nothing to lose!

All the best.

bob_mcbob
Visitor

Thanks alot for your suggestion, but just to let anyone else know who has my model, changing the file extension to .divx doesnt work.

Everytime I log on here there seems to be more threads about people wanting this functionality, I wonder if Sony will ever pay attention, it would be interesting to hear from a real Sony person whether they think they have missed a trick here.

And seriously am i the only one who cant believe that it would take too much effort to update the firmware - even if it was a manual download from the net that you try at your own risk.

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

It would appear the answer is to buy a sheduled 2011 model and hope video support works if not then buy a 2012 model etc..etc

Or choose a CE manufactuer with a more open acceptance of popular codecs/formats used by consumers.

Or maybe we can hope for unofficial firmware like the SamyGo project for particulair Samsung sets.  

bob_mcbob
Visitor

haha yes I think thats Sony's solution....if you want the capability of alot of the other manufactures, and infact other Sony devices (like the blueray players, which are ironically cheaper then my TV), then wait until they bring out there new range of TV's and rather then keep my expensive piece of equipment last spend another £500+ with them.

Oh well least Im not the only one that seems to be annoyed about this.