Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
112 REPLIES 112
profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Not sure if my TV (KDL-40NX803) is 2010 or not but my broadband has considerably less bandwidth than runner_bean's (3150 kbps) and all I get even on the "normal" setting is the first couple of seconds of the "Whoosh" and can almost make out two white hemispheres comming together...then iPlayer reloads!

Dolly on the other hand, or should that be on both hands! comes across in glorious HD just fine! :nauseated_face:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Theracles

Dolly - The best pair on TV :grin:   (umm, Im talking about Glastonbury and Wimbledon :wink: )

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Just tried "TVcatchup" on my iPad via my BB connection and despite that being "live" it plays just fine, so it's not due to the puny limitations of my TalkTalk bandwidth, it must be another "SONY/iPlayer" problem!

profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

Tried only Glastonbury material which was 2 hours duration as alternative to Wimbledon.  Only video performance choices I am aware of with the 2010 Sony are Standard Quality and High Quality, both of which crash with Day 7 and 8 material, but with some earlier Wimbledon footage Standard worked when High crashed.  theracles post is exactly what I get - glad it's not just me! I plan to also fault the Hitachi TV as I was very cross when neither TV worked. I have set my PVR to record all the rest of Wimbledon...

Thanks everyone for your support.

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Just tried Wimbledon again and it works on BBC 1 (tried Day 8 and 9)

BBC 2 day 9 not available and day 8 won't play,: just the Whoosh, then reloads! :yahoo:

Malakas11
Explorer

Is it any wonder Apple took away Sony's lead when something which should be a 2 minute job is this complicated. Sony you are rubbish. I have been 4 days without iPlayer - with no clue given on the TV . Instead I have trawl around on the internet and may have to download stuff (firmware?)on to a memory stick; are you for real? Sony I think you are still in the 1990s. I am sorely tempted to put a brick through your crap telly and just go out and buy decent one.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Curious on why you dont also blame BT for the BBC issue as well, considering the data is going into BT telephone exchanges.

Anyhow - The BBC have had an issue all weekend - Have a look at the following thread:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-iplayer-problems-july-2014/m-p/1703171

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28400908

Can I assume you also have a 2011 model TV - which model exactly?

Cheers

frmitch42
Explorer

I've just cured my Iplayer "temporary issue", using the firmware update discussed in this thread. I also have had problems in obtaining "Higher quality" on my 4 year old KDL-40EX503. I get the 2 second trying to load screen and the flash of video, it then reverts back to the menu.

I looked in the FAQ's about HD TV and it says that this version does not play HD. It certainly couldn't play Higher quality Commonwealth games content, so I don't know if weve now got a downgraded version of Iplayer, or not. I don't recall ever having a problem with higher quality before, and my internet speed of 10MB/s has no problem streaming HD catchup on my sky box.

profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

frmitch42: I suspect you have found the same problem as I and others have, which is that the Sony implementation of BBC iPlayer will not play media longer than a certain time (six hours??). I had problems with extended Wimbledon content which didnot occur with other (shorter) programmes. The question is whether this is a BBC fault or a Sony one... I do know that an Android tablet had no problems withthe extended Wimbledon recording so I think Sony should take a serious look at this and advise us users.
frmitch42
Explorer

Thanks runner_bean for your prompt reply.  Could it in other words be down to filesize, since the  games footage I tried was just short of 3 hours long, but the HD version would have at least doubled the filesize to probably the equivalent of a 6 hour SD programme. The absence of an error message to give us a clue doesn't help.