Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 32" KDL32EX43BU built in Blue Ray player unrepairable??

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
caskin43
Visitor

Bravia 32" KDL32EX43BU built in Blue Ray player unrepairable??

I would appreciate some advice from those among you who might have had  a similar experience to mine?

In 2011 I paid £649 for a Bravia 32" with blue Ray in built player,plus 5 yr Guarantee/warranty.

Although having very little use,5 weeks ago the Blue Ray DVD player stopped working.Sony were contacted and removed TV for repair replacing it with 2nd hand Panasonic lacking DVD player.(not to happy over that)

WE were told at the time that Sony repair turnover was a max of 14days...after three weeks no-one had contacted us so we started chasing,only to discover that Sony had informed the branch that our Blue Ray Dvd player is unrepairable as parts are not available,equally Sony have stopped Production of the Bravia with in built Blue Ray shortly after our purchase, due,they say,to being unable to give customer choice over Blue Ray DVd in built into Bravia TV.

After four weeks we were eventually contacted by the manager of our local branch to discuss the situation who made it very plain(over the phone) it was impossible to replace what we had originally purchased,plus we were in a totally unique situation within Sony as it had never happened before, where the item could not be repaired or replaced,.and that at present no other customers were effected?

We understand the impossible cannot be granted if the model is no longer available and fully accept that...however what we do not accept,especially with our 5yr Guarantee is Sonys answer to the problem.

They want us to accept our original TV back with a free standing Blue Ray DVD player!

My objection to this is, that it is not the package that I initially purchased,plus what good is my original set if the DVD is broken.yes I can view DVDs through a free standing box,but when the time comes to move the set on, who will be interested,as psychologically from a buyers point of view if one part is broken whats to say the other is not effected?

As SONY admit, it is a unique situation: I would like them as a good will gesture if nothing else,to give us a credit note against what we origianlly  spent, allowing us to start afresh in store....after all we did not break the unit,equally it is not our fault or that of our local branch if Sony are unable to repair or offer a replacement within the terms of the guarante/warranty.

I would be grateful for other Forum members views and comments,plus how they would react in the same situation.   Thankyou.

Message was edited by: caskin43

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
caskin43
Visitor

Hi Answer as promised,if you read my first post you will see what my situation was.

To cut a long story short We recived a credit note for full amount spent.

As prices have now come down this enabled us to upgrade to a 40" TV,plus Blue Ray free standing DVD/interent enabled player,plus (AS a freebie along with TV )Google £200  net work media player which turns TV into PC along with email etc and many Apps.

Word of caution it has made life very compicated trying to work it all out,plus there are numerous leads with plugs requiring individual control over units as well as splitters for the HMDI leads.....but persoanlly I think they have done us proud....

One other thing that came out of this posting was that I was contacted by Chris McDonald Sony Cutomer relations 01932 816000,who was very helpful,plus it heightened my apprecaition of SONY to think they do monitor the Forum and do attempt to assist ,so 10 out of 10 to them...hope this helps out in your case.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Downsview
New

Hi there

I have the same problem. MyBlu-ray player stopped working 4 weeks ago - Sony sorted  out repair centre who took TV away, and now say that the unit needs replacing but the part isn't avaiable. Awaiting resonse from Sony - have you had any joy ?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

in my view parts should be available for the duration of any warranty period and if this is not the case i would expect a replacement, but in these cases would accept an equivalent model tv and blu ray player, especially as its a manufacturing fault or equipment failure.

hopefully someone from Sony will pick up this thread and assist you guys with this unique problem.

caskin43
Visitor

Thanks for reply.Our feelings entirely.Our local showroom and manager are of the same opinion especially as it has now been going on for almost 5/6 weeks!!!!

All enquiries have been met by replies that it has to go to to other departments for a a decision????How many departments it has been passed through we are unsure of,but certainly more than four!!

We are having regular updates from our supplier but nothing from SONY who appear unable to make an excecutive decision!!!

AS we have said from the onset,we spent as it happend £650,we do not want  a refund just a restart with equipment that can be repaired or exchanged during our warranty period.(Espcially as now most units are much cheaper)

We have throughout this period been laid off with a very inferior Panasonic TV and not a DVD player in sight.....so not quite the package I purchased,certainly not the customer treatment i would have expected from SONY,plus no apology for the weeks of inconvenience.

caskin43
Visitor

Hi Watch this space,could have some good news for you by Monday..:smileywink:

Bravia55HX

sounds promising, do share when you do and dont forget monday is bank holiday :wink:

caskin43
Visitor

Will have definite answer for you Tuesday PM//////All Good!

caskin43
Visitor

Hi Answer as promised,if you read my first post you will see what my situation was.

To cut a long story short We recived a credit note for full amount spent.

As prices have now come down this enabled us to upgrade to a 40" TV,plus Blue Ray free standing DVD/interent enabled player,plus (AS a freebie along with TV )Google £200  net work media player which turns TV into PC along with email etc and many Apps.

Word of caution it has made life very compicated trying to work it all out,plus there are numerous leads with plugs requiring individual control over units as well as splitters for the HMDI leads.....but persoanlly I think they have done us proud....

One other thing that came out of this posting was that I was contacted by Chris McDonald Sony Cutomer relations 01932 816000,who was very helpful,plus it heightened my apprecaition of SONY to think they do monitor the Forum and do attempt to assist ,so 10 out of 10 to them...hope this helps out in your case.

Downsview
New

Well done ! Pleased they sorted it out for you. There's hope for me yet although I'm 5 months down the line and still Sony keep fobbing me off ........ The latest phone call yesterday promised a response by tomorrow. We'll see.

kitkat214
Explorer

I have the same situation with a 40" unit.  I have been offered a home cinema system which I do not really havee room for.