Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
gussie

The exact error message reads "Internet download failed because content size exceed system memory limit"sony error.jpg

Lilac9
Explorer

We have also had this problem for about three weeks - the system memory limit message flashes up whenever we try to use iPlayer after two years of trouble-free use. This is a Sony KDL-32W705B TV. I have refreshed the firmware, unplugged the TV and reconnected to the wireless hub and all the other interventions suggested on this forum, but without success. I reported to BBC iPlayer yesterday, but although helpful,  they referred me to Sony, saying that although this problem had been reported a few months ago, it had been fixed by the BBC and they had received no other reports from people owning Sony TVs. They asked that I re-report the problem to the BBC if Sony cannot help. Does anyone have any more suggestions? Thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Have also reported this to the BBC and Sony Support - but there appears a lot of "buck passing" going on here.

My KDL-32W705B is less than two years old and has a 5 year John Lewis warranty - I now know that Smart TVs are a total waste of money due to this sort of thing happening.

Both Sony and the BBC should be ashamed of themselves !

And before anyone else chimes in with the usual "re-apply firmware and Factory Reset" advice - yes I've already done that TWICE !!

Lilac9
Explorer

Hmm..I did detect the sensation of buck passing when discussing with BBC support. The only reason I replaced my (ancient but otherwise functional Sony) TV was to get iPlayer...

Currently experiencing the same issue with a KDL-42W7O6B model.

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

BBC replied to say they are working on this and pointed me to a link that does not exist

"https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/sony-memory-limit".

Sony replied asking me to reapply the latest firmware and perform a Factory Reset.

All very frustrating and should be a warning to anyone relying on their Smart TV functionality to last more than a year or so!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I have sent a message to one of my contacts within Sony to find out what is going on and for them to raise an issue with the BBC.  It appears that you all have 2014 model TVs.  Unfortunately I will not be able to get a reply until at least tomorrow.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Leedsirish

I have moved your post to this thread, as your model TV relates to this particular issue - the thread you replied on the issue was resolved (i think)

Cheers

Lilac9
Explorer

Thank you; I really appreciate your help. I've also asked Sony Customer Support to raise with BBC directly.

Yes, my TV was definitely manufactured in 2014.