Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
syedali69
Visitor

I have a KDL-46W4710

its just been over 2 years and I have horizontal lines going across the screen.

I have been in contact with sony and they are saying that there is no known issues with my model so it will not be repaired free of charge.

I guess sony lcd's do only last 2 years

andyimlah
Visitor

I also am having problems with my sony LCD (40W4710) luckly under warenty from John Lewis. Repair depot say requires a new panel costing over £450.John Lewis are happy to pay for repair but still waiting to hear if there are any panels in stock ?

Hope resolved/ fixed soon as been without TV for 10 days now.

Andy

Message was edited by: andyimlah

Message was edited by: andyimlah

sadforsony
Visitor

Yes I also have a Sony KDL40W4500, now with the added feature of the 3 bands going across the screen, and yes you’ve guessed it, it’s about 2 1/2 years old!

So my journey is about to start with getting this replaced or fixed with Sony.

Sadly for Sony, I had just ordered a new KDL22CX32DBU for another room and saw the various articles about the Sony displays, so have now cancelled the order and will be looking for a Panasonic or the like instead. So a lost sale for Sony!

I've been an ardent Sony fan for years and have always valued their quality products and services. So am very unhappy to find my two and half year old TV has a inherent manufacturers fault.

Anyway let’s see how good Sony really are....

sadforsony
Visitor

Well first attempt at raising a customer service call was fruitless and we were passed to the Head Office, only to be told that their switchboard was not working properly and then we got cut off. So not a good start.

We tried again and got a really helpful person who actually admitted that Sony knew about the issue. She logged all the details and said that they would arrange an FOC engineer to come out and inpect it and provide a service report. We would be contacted within 48hrs in order to arrange for an engineer to check it over. The service company phoned the same day and an engineer is coming Friday.

So not bad for a starters. Well done Sony, other than the false start, things are looking promising.

andyimlah
Visitor

Now waiting for new panel to be delivered to repair depot.

Hopefully sometime this week

Andy

girliebikes
Visitor

I have a KDL-40w4500 with the usual fault -black line and ghosting- Sony call centre absolutely useless its over 2 years old so they told me I haveto pay £80 to get it looked at even though this model is listed with a known fault on my second call to the call centre I was told it would be looked at free but when the service centre called they again told me it was not free and would cost £80  Have now e-mailed Sony and am awaiting reply hopefully from someone who knows whats going on

I have been a loyal Sony customer for many years but NO MORE!!!

GrandmaGilly
Visitor

Just joined this forum posting a question about our new Bravia that I bought from John Lewis, who are prepared to take it back, because I have doubts about it the 'picture'.

Now I  have read this post I am wondering if it is best to not even discuss it any further and let it go back.

Interesting  as it seems Sony isn't what it used to be.  I remember the days go into a shop, pay more and come out with the best picture and the set lasted years.

sadforsony
Visitor

Yes I too have had Sony's for years, indeed my last TV carried on for nearly 20years - super tellie - it was an old CRT type though. But as you say there seems to be some big question marks around the quality of Sony TV's these days. Two years for an LCD screen is not a good track record, even my old IBM laptop screen has lasted 8 years and its still functions - so it suggests that screens are okay just the electronics around then.

decole56
Visitor

I should be so lucky if our screen lasted TWO years !!!, We bought our 40W 4500 in November 2008 and have just had our second new screen fitted !!!, Sony have wiped their hands of blame and refered me back to the warranty company Sonex !, luckily I have another 2 years left on warranty, should cover another couple of screens !!!

barfim00
Visitor

Hi Lee

I have a KDL-40W4500 TV which I have owned for just over 2 years.  I have the usual problem with the screen which has been getting worse.  I was very happy to see your message which you posted in May this year, stating that Sony realise that they have issues with the screen and would help their customers.

I phoned the number you gave today but I have been told that I will have to pay for the repair!!  This is not what i expected after reading your message.

Can you please help.

Kind regards

Matt