Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
unhappycustomer
Visitor

As I bought this Sony TV based on it being a Which? Best Buy I have notified Which? of the experiences that we have encountered with our sets and with our dealing with Sony. If you also purchased the set based on the Which? recommendation you might want to contact them too.

describbler
Visitor

Well, as you will see from my earlier posts I've been having the same problem with my 40W4500.  Just two years old, horizontal lines across screen and the Sony approved service centre told me that a new screen was required.

Here, it would seem, my experience differs.  I contacted the Sony Customer Information Centre and received excellent service and product support.  After providing proof of purchase and repair estimate, as requested, I was contacted by phone (and by StartTheCar on this thread) to discuss the problem.

The TV has been repaired and returned under Sony's 'goodwill' policy, without cost to me.

Naturally I am delighted, and pleased to have had my confidence in the Sony name restored.

I would suggest to anyone with the same screen fault to contact the Sony Customer Info Centre and see what transpires.  Good luck!

anmakin81
Visitor

An update on my post in December.

Since December I too have had a good experience with Sony Support and Domestic in General their Warranty Supplier.

I'm still without a TV but I do have £699.99 quid to spend on a new one provided by D.I.G. as my W4500 was not deemed Economic to repair.

My Panasonic is on order!  I nearly went Sony again but decided that the Pany was a safer bet and it came with a 5 years warranty.

Hopefully Sony can sort out the Quality issues and I can come back to them in the future.

Keep making noise people and keep speaking to Sony Support.

Regards

Andy

R1ZZ3L
Visitor

I can't believe what I'm reading here! I have exactly the same problem with my so called top of the range Bravia! and yes it 2 years and 1 month old!! I too am like most of you guys! am a true fan and trusted Sony's products! misplaced trust I very much feel now! am writing to watchdog to raise awareness and just maybe they can get the result we as lifelong customers deserve!! and until they resolve this matter none of my hard earned cash will ever go to Sony again!!!

Thanks Fony!

Yours a very upset excustomer

Brett

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Sorry to say my KDL 40W2000 has been going strong for nearly 4 years and still knocks the spots off

the LG, Samsung, Phillips equivalents.

Funnily enough I bought mine after 4 faulty Samsungs in a row from different stores and then receiving

a Phillips with an actual hole in the case.

Sorry you guys are having trouble :slight_frown:

nishmalek
Visitor

i have exactly the same problem as  the other people who have written about this tv model on the forum and  there seems to be manty many more out thereon forums reporting the same  problem that sony will not acknowledge.

there are dark lines  running down my screen and a dark shadow line about an inch think on the  right hand side of my screen, this was more noticable when watching  football. my tv is not under warrranty anymore but is only 2 and a 1/2  years old. it seems that sony have created their screens to only last  this long as lots of people have the same complaint.

i have just  rang sony and i have been told that "there is no known problems with  this model" that is rubbish as clearly there are a few of us just on  this forum with the same pronblem. So we are paying about £1000 for a tv  that will only last 2.5 years. i am disgusted with the lack of help and  support from the sony call centre staff who basically said i need to  get it fixed myself and i need to book it in with a service engineer. I  suspect this is a problem with the panel or with the screen where a  replace ment would cost you more than getting a new set. it would cost  me £45 just for someone to come out and tell me that without even having  it repaired. as a dedicated sony buyer over the years i cannot believe  that my most expensive buy has only lasted 2.5 years.

WHY IS SONY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM??

bagahun62
Visitor

My 52w4500 just started displaying a solid vertical line on the right hand side. Engineer checked it out today and it needs a new screen at a cost of £685. Television has been taken away and will take 7-10 days as the panel has to come from Bacelona. Enginer did mention that he is having to deal with a lot of similar problems.

Bought 2yrs and 4months ago but thankfully came with a 5yr extended guarantee so need to jump through any hoops to get it fixed. If the problem is inherent I guess I will be knocking on the door again just before the warranty expires.

Good luck all on getting your issues resolved.

Boughtafewsonys
Visitor

How weird!

Just looking on the web to help explain why 3 lines have appeared on my KDL 40W4500, and I find this thread.

Only occurring for 2 minutes or so on cold start up, at present, accompanied by some shadowing; so clearly the same fault.

Mine was purchased, again, from Comet in August 2008 and it has not had a hard life ( not a big viewer, me.) Cost a grand too.

Must say I'm not happy with the durability of the product and I've bought plenty of Sony stuff over the years and it has all been fine ( just writing this on my Vaio!!)

Think I'll start by phoning Comet.

Should we compare serial numbers, maybe a batch issue, which might get Sony thinking.

Ed

Jamesys
Visitor

I cannot believe how many of us have this problem with this model of Sony TV KDL46X3500U. Having paid out over £2000 for this model in 2008, we had every hope that being the most expensive one we had ever purchased, that it would last longer than 2 years!!!!! We thought we were investing in a trusted and reliable brand.

It is good to hear that we are not alone with this issue as having spoken with numerous customer service associates, they are adamant that they are not aware of this issue! So frustrating. I will be calling this customer relations number tomorrow to see if we get any joy with them.

garryallen
Visitor

As a follow up to my earlier post regarding the screen failure of my  KDL40W4500 I would like to say that my faith in Sony has been restored.

Yes, thanks mainly to StartTheCar getting involved I now have a fully working TV repaired free of charge under Sony's 'goodwill' policy. It seems that Sony are getting the message over this one that sometimes you have to bear the brunt repair costs in order to maintain good customer relations.

Be prepared to be without your TV for a while though, I was without mine for 4 weeks from initial estimate to completion of repair.

I hope that Sony have corrected the design fault that has caused these faults and that this screen lasts longer than the last one - I don't want to be back on here in 2 years time!

Well done Sony, I can put you back on the list for when I upgrade.