Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
leonintelex
Visitor

Just done some research,   apparently some Toshiba models suffer the exact same problem as this se,  if you look at the photos it is almost an identical fault (What would  be classed as a TCON Faliure).

Toshiba's  stance is a world away from Sony's.  they will offer a hassle free  exchange for a new TV (of a similar spec of course) or a credit uplift.

1. No need to send to a service centre
  2. No need to pay £70 of your own money
  3. No wating 4-6 weeks without a TV
  4. No intergation over the problem, they understand it is a manufacturing fault
  5. They offer a friendly understanding approach to the fault

Why  Toshiba do this and Sony dont is beyond me,  it must simply be that  Toshiba care more about their customers, show fairness and try to be  helpful rather than a hinderence.

Sony please take a similar stance to your competitors, we just want a TV that works ... thats all!

philoren5
Visitor

Hi Leonintelex

I have the same problem (see my post "Warranty Extension for 40W4500?").

I was very interested in your comments about Toshiba's response to a similar problem.

Do you have a link to the details of their approach that you saw posted elsewhere?

Sony do not seem to want to follow the lead of Sony US in issuing a warranty extension for a similar manufacturing defect but I am sure they would appreciate seeing how their competitors are handling such matters.

leonintelex
Visitor

Yep, here it is:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-televisions/1061134-marks-inside-my-lcd-tv-screen.html

This is from another forum.  As you can see from the pictures it is an identical fault to the one that happens with these Bravia models and Toshiba have taken a completley different stance.

profile.country.GB.title
apuk2004

Hi All,

I too have the KDL40W4500 and it has recently developed the ghosting/shadowing issue as seen here.

I originally thought it was my Virgin V+HD Box and so disconnected that for the weekend but the problem remained.

I have since seen this thread and and the AVFORUMS thread with methods of how to fix the problem but I am not confident to do this and have followed the advice here and called SONY.

As usual they have suggested I call the local repair centre (in my case correctservice ltd in nottingham) and they are coming to look at (and possibly collect) the TV next thursday at a cost to me of £50.

I originally bought the TV in Oct 2008 after spending hours reading reviews online as to the best TV for my needs (mainly HD films and PS3 gaming) and unfortunately I used EMPIRE DIRECT to buy the TV who not long after went into liquidation and so I lost a 5 year warranty!!!! :slight_frown:

Anyway the TV is used for about 4-5 hours a day by various family members and will be sorely missed if its taken away.

Is it likely that if i get the fault report Sony will be good enough to compensate me since the TV is a known issue?

Thanks,

Andy

VeryUpset
Visitor

We too have a SonyKd146w4500 which is just over two years old and it has started to go funny. You now have to put it on two hours in advance for it to warm up before you can watch it.

My husband is so disappointed in this Sony product, We have had an engineer out and he said its the screen - and would cost alot to repair - infact probably not worth it.

It is very upsetting when you have paid over £1000 for a TV - come on Sony replace the TV like toshiba as its obviously a recurring problem. Otherwise Toshiba will gain next time!

Boughtafewsonys
Visitor

It's important that what we put on this thread is balanced

Since my last post, I've had a much better experience with the Sony Customer Centre.

As recommended elsewhere on the thread, I've obtained a report on the problem with my 40W4500 (TCONN fail) and a repair estimate. OK , I had to pay for this (£70) and it was done by the retailers repair service.

Sony have asked me to send these documents to them, along with my reciept.

This latest interaction with Sony suggests there is an accepted path for dealing wiith ex-warranty clains on these TVs. Just a shame my first interaction with them was so different; I wonder if something has changed!

Let's see what happens.

Oct 2008 KDL 40W4500 Owner

Boughtafewsonys
Visitor

It's important that what we put on this thread is balanced

Since my last post, I've had a much better experience with the Sony Customer Centre.

As recommended elsewhere on the thread, I've obtained a report on the problem with my 40W4500 (TCONN fail) and a repair estimate. OK , I had to pay for this (£70) and it was done by the retailers repair service.

Sony have asked me to send these documents to them, along with my reciept.

This latest interaction with Sony suggests there is an accepted path for dealing wiith ex-warranty clains on these TVs. Just a shame my first interaction with them was so different; I wonder if something has changed!

Let's see what happens.

Oct 2008 KDL 40W4500 Owner

leonintelex
Visitor

It is good that Sony are starting to take this a little bit more seriously but it is still a concern that the procedure in place is not fair on customers who experience this fault.

Put simply not everyone has £80 lying around that they can pay to a Sony service centre for this to be looked at and confirm what you knew already (it is a T Conn fault).

This is obviously a big problem with TV's from this era and it would make sense from Sony's perspective that if a customer complained about there been grey lines on the set and sent photo evidence then Sony should then arrange for the TV to be fixed without quibble.

As for me, it has taken 12 months for Sony to get to this point.  I have spent a lot of my non working hours trying to get this rectified,  spoke to some incredibly rude people in the contact centre (and some pleasent ones as well I must add to make it fair on the staff), sent countless e-mails and letters.      I have been told a lot of contradictive informaiton and at one point was lied to (or misled whichever way you want to put it) by someone in the contact centre.  My personal experience of Sony is far from positive.

Someone from Sony has no agreed to look into my complaint which is reassuring to hear that it is finally getting taken seriously,  I will post my thoughts afterwards.

dangerclose
Visitor

woaw... u got 2 years out of yours!?!?

i got one of them swanky new 3D LED one's... cost me a fortune... have had 2 screens and now it's just competely calved!

going round in circles here trying to get something sorted.

piece of junk.  i want my money back.

ballamboy
Visitor

I posted about a month ago (on the previous page) about my KDLW4500 problem. I'm pleased to say that Sony have offered me a replacement KDL40EX503 (which seems broadly similar) under their goodwill policy. I've heard this via a call from their approved dealer who gave me the quote for repair (the easiest £40 they could earn - they knew what the fault was as soon as I brought the TV into the shop!)

However, Sony haven't had the courtesy to reply to my letter or call me themselves. If the letter is 'in the post' I'll apologise but it's now 2 days since the repair shop phoned me. I'm less than happy about being informed by a third party.

No apology, no recognition that due to their manufacturing fault I've been without a decent picture for over a month, that I've had to pay to get documentary proof, that I've had two 20-mile trips taking the TV for an estimate and return, and a further trip to return the defective set and pick up the new one.......

It will be a Panasonic or Samsung for me next time round. Sony have not dealt with this particularly well. If you are going to put something right, then put it right properly and keep customers on board. Don't force them through numerous hoops. Accept liabilty and move on....

Good Luck to those of you still trying to get your sets replaced. Sony will respond to well argued written cases; don't accept the advice from the call centre.