Join now - be part of our community!

False Advertising on the W6 Series - DO NOT BUY

dsswoosh

False Advertising on the W6 Series - DO NOT BUY

Anyone who wants to buy this TV specially for the smooth MotionFlow 200 options beware.

This TV does not support MotionFlow.

This is clearly false advertisement.

Am bumping this every single day until someone from Sony acknowledges why it has been falsely advertised.

104 REPLIES 104
profile.country.GB.title
PDakota
Explorer

Bump to 2017...

What was the outcome of this?  I have just bought a Bravia WE753 with 400hz MotionFlow and I have the exact same issue: no motionflow setting and no difference in motion blur no matter what scene or LED Motion mode I choose!

Blatant false advertising.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

So, what was the outcome of the missing 'motionflow' on the W6 series?

My 1 week old KDL 40WE663 with Motionflow XR 400hz does not appear to have any mention of 'motionflow settings' in the menu!

profile.country.GB.title
PDakota
Explorer

Having reached the end of my research, it seems that all BRAVIA TVs since c.2013 have MotionFlow as an advertised feature.  The actual technology that delivers smoother motion handling varies depending on the model.

Your available settings relating to motionflow seem to depend on which of these technologies you have in your set.

For instance my 2017 43WE75 is Sony's top of the range 1080p HDR TV, however only sports LED Motion in the settings.  This, apparently, blinks the LED at a rate faster than the refresh rate of the panel to supposdely smooth motion.  However I have noticed very little effect, apart from the dimming of the backlight.

APPARENTLY, and according to Sony, if you don't have a Motionflow setting it's because Motionflow automatically 'kicks in' on different scene selections: like Sport, or General.  It is then turned off for things like Game and Music.  However again this is to very little, if not an unnoticeable effect.

Unfortunately 'MotionFlow' is a marketing label and Sony can get away with heavily implying all their TVs have all these multiple technologies, where in reality your set may only have one of them and still have the MotionFlow branding.

It's shady as all hell, but unfortunately tech-savvy end users like us make up about 0.01% of Sony's sales.  The majoirty of people will buy their £1.5k TV with all the fancy labels on, get home, not peel off the plastic from the logo, wall mount it 7 feet up the wall above their fireplace and not touch the settings.  Sony are well aware of this and it's not in their interests to substantiate our claims by responding to them.

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi PDakota

That was a very well laid out explanation which was perfectly understandable!

I've recently bought 2 Sony TV's in the last week, you may have seen/read my posts?

The most relevant TV to this issue is the '9 day old' 40WE663 and its advertised as having XR 400hz. I've not noticed anything about 'motionflow' in settings but, it does show 'LED Motion' so, I suppose, like thousands of other buyers, I'm also affected?

What annoys me is that, just as youve said in your last paragraph Sony have it plastered it all over their website and also on the boxes and, most people would have bought the TV because of it!

The other Sony is the 6 day old 65XE7003 and is connected to a Sky Q Silver box and, I've posted a query about 'upscaling'!  In short, Sony state the following:  "Driven by the X-Reality PRO Engine", everything you watch is upscaled to near 4K quality"!

The operative word being "everything" so, I took that to mean anything you watch, be it SD or HD, will be "upscaled to near 4K quality"!

Well, that did not happen and, I'm not happy!   As a test, I flicked through the channels, some of which were HD but, most were in SD and, I was very disappointed because, to me, there was no upscaling 'to near 4K quality!   The SD channels looked like they were in SD and the HD channels looked like they were HD quality!

As stated, this 4K TV is new so, maybe there is something I need to enable on the TV

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peeoff

SD > HD > 4K Upscaling

The problem is, you cannot add details to the original broadcast to improve quality.  Upscaling SD content onto a 65" screen is always going to look crap.  You are blowing up or magnifying any imperfections in the video quality and hence part of the problem. The closer you view the TV, the worse your perception is on the quality as well.

Try watching BBC1 SD on Freeview without the Sky box and compare it.  Sky seems to use the resolution of 544x576 where-as BBC seem to use 704x576.