Join now - be part of our community!

False Advertising on the W6 Series - DO NOT BUY

dsswoosh

False Advertising on the W6 Series - DO NOT BUY

Anyone who wants to buy this TV specially for the smooth MotionFlow 200 options beware.

This TV does not support MotionFlow.

This is clearly false advertisement.

Am bumping this every single day until someone from Sony acknowledges why it has been falsely advertised.

104 REPLIES 104
SKYsony

This is my enquiry to Sony Italy :

Good morning, while waiting for your phone response that I haven't received, today I spent the whole day to inform me as to why the TV KDL-42W653A (SN 7303000, construction date 10/2013 updated to 'last firmware) does not have the "Motionflow" in menu of the TV, because it is simple, the TV does not have the Motionflow 200 Hz as you advertised in all Sony sites, worldwide.
The web is full of forums where customers who complain about this lack of conformity, many have written to Sony in different countries, but no one ever got a satisfactory answer.
Here's a link, for example .........

http://community.sony.it/t5/Televisions/False-Advertising-on-the-W6-Series-DO-NOT-BUY/td-p/1323240

There are also other websites where even tested the TV and saw that the Motionflow does not exist, here's a link for example ......

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl42w653-201308113237.htm

I, unfortunately, I'm tired of taking disappointments, is a life that I'm customer of Sony, 6 TVs ? + those of my mother and my father, so I trust in your honesty and transparency.

At home I have another Sony, bought 1 year ago, the KDL-40EX720 and that's got the Motionflow 200 Hz Motionflow in the menu and when imposed on "fluid" you can see the difference ........ . images are not be jerky and they are super smooth.
This KDL-42W653A' images you can see that are at 50/60 hz and there is no possibility to act on a hypothetical Motionflow 200Hz.

So at this point there are two solutions, even three, I propose you.

1) Inform the Sony / technical department and requested a new firmware that makes possible the enjoyment of that much-publicized Motionflow.
2) You replaced the TV with one that has the features Motionflow 200Hz
3) nothing, give me a generic response, I will go and ask for compensation regarding the item sold from you that does not comply with the technical specifications because the product does not allow to have the vision with Motionflow 200Hz.

I would like to emphasize, I bought this TV mainly because it must have the Motionflow 200Hz.

What do you advise or suggest?

Thank you very much in advance for your interest in my case, and in any case I'm always convinced that the Sony TV are the top in terms of quality, a super your guest.
Best regards.
SKYsony

My friends, I let you know regarding their response, I'm thinking to go to an attorney .... and they will pay everithing, promise, also the time that I'm spending for this ..... I' m very disappointed.
SKYsony

My friend told me that my EX720 has a panel working at 100 hz with motionflow 200hz and I replay to him .......

You're probably right, you've discovered the reason for this big difference, I thought they were both 50hz, but no.
Among other things, I also have to say that the panel of the EX720 is also better in terms of defining the detail, I think that this panel was created as a joint venture between Sony and Samsung, for example if you look hd channel you can also see the pores of the skin people ......... but the fact remains that, in my opinion,Sony had to leave the chance to see and adjust the Motionflow in kdl-42w653a ......... better that way, in part, we have solved the mystery ......... so the real problem is that kdl-42w653a has a 50hz native panel and motionflow200hz do a very small enhancement in term of images quality ............ ciao.

ptasony
New

Both EXT72x and W6xx have 100 Hz panels.

I got my W6 on Monday and we opened our christmas present this evening.

I was disappointed whe I compared the picture quality against our EX724. Both should share same kind of panels and Motionflow XR 200 Hz. I was wondering why motion in W6 is not as smooth as in EX724 and updated tha latest firmware. No help from that and then I started to google... Spent over 6 hours and found this thread... I feel that Sony has not been honest to me.

Specs of my TVs:

EX724, panel: LTY460HJ0501, No specs available

EX724, panel: T460HW08 V2, Vertical Frequency: 120Hz (60Hz Input)

W655, panel: T420HVF04 0, Vertical Frequency: 120Hz

When I got my first EX724, I was first disappointed, because it did not look as good as what it looked at store. Too bad that I did not return it. I thought that it was only matter of different settings and lightning. It ended up to my basement floor.

Later I bought another EX724, because it still looked so magnificient at shop - and in my livingroom too. Then I learned how to open service menu and examined the panel versions. Those two "similar" sets had totally different panels!!!

What a scam - the TV at shop had a panel made by Samsung and the first TV they sold to me had AUO panel instead!!! The second TV had Samsung's panel.

Here is my demand to Sony: I want Motionflow XR 200 Hz setting enabled to get proper motion flow.

zilhaax
Explorer

how about a massive case run with family lawers against sony ? I have my 50w656 and my 30 days trial is over, im little ***** as my old 40w5500 had motion flow option enabled and I could see difference. Sony with theis ignorance will start loosing customers, thats for sure.

SKYsony

Negative my friend ...... our kdl-42W653A has 50 hz native panel ........ Look around in the web if you don't believe me, ciao.
hakkedoff
Explorer

Wow this post and thread is well suppressed on google somehow it took some finding. 

I bought the 50w656 4 days ago and was not sure about the tv if it is native 50hz or 100hz have been sold it based on it being 100hz. I also bought it based on its ability to network and specifically to my Mac, it will not. Nor will it connect to my HD webcam (I know why now). 

I spoke to technical "they said that the sony will never connnect to a Mac because Macs dont network, plug it in to the hdmi from the mac (sounds like hardwiring not networking) or get a 3rd party app (which app and how is it installed) that's not supported! "

So lets get this right Sony, I have a not so smart TV, which can't motion flow, can't network to Mac (Sonys words although it will connect to my mac if i set it as proxy server!) and will only work with a proprietary web cam on a standard USB port.

Im rather insulted by the crass support given, have been a long time loyal Sony customer but no longer, Sony you make good and crap stuff unfortunately the good stuff is let down by crap restrictions, limitations and support, especially when you are rebranding other manufacturers components you should seek to wow your customers not pizz them off!

Im fortunate with specifically making a JL purchase and plenty of time and opportunity to return it, i'll keep an eye on here to see what happens, if there's any tests I can do to help the cause before returning please let me know!

hakkedoff
Explorer

"Sony also is dealing with a lot of negative press because they marketed the TV as 200hz with MotionFlow (image processing setting that improves the smoothness of everything you see on the screen). The TV however has proven to be neither 200hz nor to include this feature. If you are looking for the best image quality and smooth images you will have to look at the Sony W9/X9 series."

https://www.tvstore.nl/product-reviews/354527/review/1928131/the-best-gaming-tv-on-the-market.html

Maybe someone can ask this reviewer where the proof is?

stealthinde

Ok, news from Sony - not very usefull though, I think we all know this:

----------------------------------------

Recently you had contacted us for support.  I would be grateful if you could confirm if you are still experiencing issues.

Feedback from our technical team was:

The Motionflow is always on and cannot be switched off however, the Motionflow is disabled on this series
when Scene Select is set either to Photo, Game or Graphics mode. For more information about how to change
the scene selection please check the link below:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13LW600114/EN/c_picscrn_picmode.html

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards

----------------------------------------

I am gonna reply that we know this, but what we all want is a simple switch.

I will be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with enhanced Hz on TVs, but I think that I should notice when something is running @ 200Hz instead of 50 (even if this is a software elaboration), am I wrong?

hal9000ht
Explorer

Is that true guys?
Thanks