Join now - be part of our community!

How to stop change channel prompt for HD?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
b19bol
Visitor

How to stop change channel prompt for HD?

TV Model: KDL-32CX523
Ver:PKG4.002EUA.0104

Hi,

When watching a standard definition channel such as BBC1, every time the next program is availabkle in HD then a prompt is shown on screen asking me if I want to change to HD. Is there a way to stop this prompt?

Thanks! :smileygrin:

Tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi b19bol,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately there is not a option avalable on the Bravia that allows users to disable the 'This channel is available in HD' pop-up..

Sony have stated that the message is generated by the Freeview signal & is not part of the Bravia settings..

All I can suggest is that add a suggestion to this thread - Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

This problem has been resolved with the latest firmware update.

Cheers

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
richardbowling
Visitor

Hi,

This is a co-incidence because I was just searching for exactly the same Question and Answer.  My aging Mother has this TV and she is absolutely fed up with this message.  She watches mainly in non HD as she can't get local news in HD.  I have tried several options to stop this annoying message but it still keeps popping up.

PLEASE can someone help.

Ricardo

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi b19bol,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately there is not a option avalable on the Bravia that allows users to disable the 'This channel is available in HD' pop-up..

Sony have stated that the message is generated by the Freeview signal & is not part of the Bravia settings..

All I can suggest is that add a suggestion to this thread - Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Bravia55HX

which kind of defeats the object doing so as the signal is generated by freeview so no amount of suggestion to Sony will change that!!:smileysilly:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Bravia55HX923 wrote:

which kind of defeats the object doing so as the signal is generated by freeview so no amount of suggestion to Sony will change that!!

I guess you are referring to my suggestion to add a suggestion to this thread - Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Well my thinking behind this is that if enough people ask then perhaps a Sony software engineer 'may' be able to identify the signal and add an option to the Bravia settings..

Sorry if you disagree, I'm only trying to offer a constructive alternative..:smileysad:

Bravia55HX

Thalamus,

its not that i disagree, far from it and everything you put up offers a great deal, my point was as you already suggested was of the fact the signal is generated by freeview, and not a fault of Sony, however to put a suggestion forward may in the future get Sony to work with Freeview on a solution so that it was helpful, its just that when i read it, it did not sound right.

i should also mention while we are on the subject that my HX923 does not display this trait at all so i wonder why it does it on some and not others?

b19bol
Visitor

What does not make sense to me is this.

Not all the Bravias have this issue it seems. A colleague has Bravia and does not have this problem.

Also if it were just a signal sent by Freeview then surely all TVs would have the same issue, which of course they done. So its not the signal from freeview that is the issue, its the Bravia softwares recognition of that signal and action up it.

They must know the signal, to be able to write that bit of code into the software to generate the prompt, so sure they can write a simple option into the code as well.

Crazy

Tuliptownman
Explorer

I for one do not have this issue on my KDL37-EX723.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Tulipwoman, perhaps the HD prompt is region specific, that may explain why some owners have the prompt & others don't..:smileyconfused:

abarton
Visitor

Possible work around solution!

My parents had this same problem with their new KDL32EX523.  When viewing BBC 1 the pop-up appeared and directed them to channel 833 for BBC1 HD.  However 833 does not work in their area, channel 50 is BBC1 HD.

So not only is the pop-up annoying, it also gives incorrect information and led them to a blank screen!

I solved the problem by deleting channel 833 from their setup. After doing this the pop-up no longer appears.

Unfortunately I had to follow the steps in the i-manual to do this, and I have no access to it here so can't explain all the steps. But it wasn't too difficult to find and if you have trouble Sony support should be able to tell you how to delete a channel.  I was rather surprised this solution worked so well, I was half expecting the pop-up to still appear but direct me to channel 50 instead.  But now they have no annoying pop-up at all which is perfect for my parents. If they want to watch in HD they can still select channel 50 themselves.

You may have to repeat the exercise to get rid of other useless channels in the 83x series for ITV, Channel 4 etc.

All this does beg the question why the automatic channel set-up create channels which are not actually broadcasting anything - but Sony would have to answer that.

Hope this is of some help to you.