Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32CX523 TV keeps switching off and on

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
andyl-lincs
Visitor

KDL-32CX523 TV keeps switching off and on

Hi,

this tv has just started switching off after 40 seconds and straight back on again. Does this four times then stays off, at which point the red power light flashes 8 times at about 1 second interval, then a short delay, then flashes 8 times, and contiues this cycle. Presence sensor is switch off, and the timer is not activated.

It did it a bit yesterday then eventually it stayed on all evening, but today it's done it all evening.

Has anyone any ideas?  Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A couple of things you can try

1 - Unplug TV power cord from the wall, and disconnect all other devices connected to your TV except aerial cable, and turn TV on again.

2 - If step 1 fails, ensure you are using the latest firmware.

3 - If step 2 fails, perform a factory reset.

4 - If step 3 fails, it probably indicates a hardware failure on the TV, go through Sony Support to get your TV repaired.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

A couple of things you can try

1 - Unplug TV power cord from the wall, and disconnect all other devices connected to your TV except aerial cable, and turn TV on again.

2 - If step 1 fails, ensure you are using the latest firmware.

3 - If step 2 fails, perform a factory reset.

4 - If step 3 fails, it probably indicates a hardware failure on the TV, go through Sony Support to get your TV repaired.

Hope that helps.

andyl-lincs
Visitor

Thanks for your suggestions. Tried item as follows

1 - made no difference.

2 - I have discovered it's not got the latest firmware dut it won't stay on long enough to navigate through the menus to download the latest.

3 - can only find menu driven factory reset option, which as item 2, it won't stay on long enough to navigate through.

Looks like it will have to be 4. Wish there is a Sony engineer you could email direct with the details for their opinion, but I don't seem to be able to find one.

Thanks for your help Quinnicus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thats all right.

You can try downloading the updates onto a USB drive and updating that way

Another way to reset the tv is to use your remote control.  (Never tried it myself though).

1. Turn on your Sony Bravia.
  2. Press and hold the Up Arrow button on the remote control.
  3. Press the Power button on the TV while still holding down the Up Arrow button. The TV will turn off and then turn itself back on.
  4. Release the Up Arrow button. Once the TV turns itself back on, it will restore your Sony Bravia to its factory settings.

Good Luck

andyl-lincs
Visitor

Hi again, tried the manual reset as suggested. Reset worked, but TV now dead. Won't resond to any buttons, won't retune, and still has same fault. Will be phoning the retailer tomorrow - Sony seem to have made it rather more complicated to get in touch with them than I expected.

Thanks again.

Bravia55HX

Hi

this is indicative of an imminent power failure possibly something in the main board and will require a Sony service technician for repair.

profile.country.GB.title
simbooluwa
New

Was the problem resolved and how? I have a similar issue 

profile.country.GB.title
Johnsmithy69
Explorer

I found out it was an app called express vpn doing this to my TV... In your case it may be a different app.... Anyway to fix your TV unplug it so it has no power, now hold the power button and volume down button on the TV at the same time, while holding power and volume down plug the TV back in. this will factory reset your TV and bring it back on but you will lose everything... I recommended buying yourselves a USB stick to save apps on to prevent the hassle of having to download them all again. I can not work out why express vpn app causes my TV to do this but I know for sure it is this app because after having to factory reset my TV I forgot to install it and had no problems for a week. . I then remembered it and installed it, my TV begun to turn its lelf off and on after next power off but I manged to uninstall it furning the 10-20 secs the TV stayed on and then it fixed. I then downloaded it again thinking maybe it's because I have express vpn set to auto start in settings but no it made no difference my TV begin to turn off and on again. I don't expect your problems to be with the exact same app but there is an app on your TV causing this problem... Find out which one and don't install it again.