Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-32V2000 switching on and off

profile.country.en_GB.title
quisquose
Visitor

KDL-32V2000 switching on and off

Hi,

We own a Sony Bravia TV (model KDL-32V2000) that keeps turning itself off randomly, but always when changing the channel. Scrolling through channels and it will turn off and then back on again immediately, always returning to the original channel that we started at before scrolling, not the one when it switched off.

It might just be a coincidence, but it started doing this immediately after digital switchover in our area.

Does anyone know if there is a fix?

Q

9 REPLIES 9
digitaljelly
Visitor

Probably not in any way caused by the switchover - all that does is change the signals incoming to your TV aerial.

First thing I would check is the TV remote batteries - if they're low the remote won't be sending the correct signals to the TV when you press a button. Put a fresh set of matching batteries in and see how you get on.

Try also changing channel manually from the TV set itself, not using the remote. If the TV turns off, its a more serious issue, if it changes channel fine then its most likely a problem with the remote :smileyhappy:.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello quisquose

Please do double check about the problem again, i mean the problem may be you got blank black screen when changing the channel (TV front LED light still ON)

In such a case you may delete all channels and retune again

Or you can try to do factory reset

If the problem still exsists , you may call Sony authorized service center

ADDED : I just found this link to read about a similar problem as your tv.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/699167#699167

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520 : ADD aditional link

quisquose
Visitor

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think my problem is the same as that in the link provided, although it does suggest another cause that I would never have considered ... signal.

Last night whilst watching David Attenborough the TV switched off unannounced, red light, click, green light and back on again, without even touching the remote. My wife said that it had done this a few times, so it's not just when scrolling through channels, just usually so.

It's just like somebody has pressed the standby button twice. It only happens when watching Freeview channels, never cable, freesat or any of the other channels. Also, we have the same model in another room, using the same signal, with no issues, which makes me suspect that it is a hardware fault. I suspect we've only noticed it since switchover because we tended to watch the analogue channels previously.

EDIT. Just found a message with what seems like the exact same problem:

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/687787

Same model number, and started happening at the same time too.Mmmmm.

Message was edited by: quisquose

Message was edited by: quisquose

Bravia55HX

Hi,

couple of things to check here, first check your firmware is up to date and secondly check your aerial, since we gone digital your aerial may not be up to standard and may need replacing with a new Digital one.

signal strength it not the root cause of the tv switching itself off thats something else, even if the tv had no signal it will not turn itself off, that will be a mains fault within the set itself.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Thanks for clarification of the problem symptom.

I believe your TV need to be check by Sony authorized service center as it is hardware failure

Regards

bournemonkey
Visitor

Hi

my 46inch bravia  is doing exactally the same.

This problem only started when i used an ariel, before this time i only use to have sky which neverever gave me this problem

have you found an answer to this problem???

quisquose
Visitor

Unfortunately my solution is to not watch Freeview. I suspect the fault lies with the digital TV tuner, and we only noticed it after switchover because we generally watched the analogue channels previously.

The only real fix is probably as already suggested, to take it to an authorised Sony dealer to be fixed by them. Even though this might prove as expensive as buying a new set, it is a tempting since the build quality and appearance of the KDL-32V2000 is far superior to anything else on the market that I've seen recently.

However, because we hav a Virgin box and a Freesat box sat underneath the TV, our solution is likely to remain don't watch Freeview. It doesn't exhibit any problems on anything other that using the inbuilt digital tuner.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

has any of you tried to see if a firmware update is available?, since no one has mentioned otherwise it might be prudent to have a look before thinking of lugging it off to a repair centre.

still think its an aerial related issue, if its not up to digital spec it wont work properly.

quisquose
Visitor

Can't imagine it's an aerial issue. It's only 6 months old, and 3 other TVs are working off it no problem, and one of them is the same model.

Current firmware is Version 2.5.110, Starter 0.0.30.

I've no idea if that's up to date at all, but as I switched to digital to find the firmware version, the TV switched off and back on as I exited the menu. I think taking any action when using the digital tuner is likely to make it crash.