Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40CX523 & long programmes on iPlayer

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

KDL-40CX523 & long programmes on iPlayer

When I try to watch the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony on iPlayer I only get about half an hour in & get a 'Content Error' with Retry/Cancel buttons. I can't wind past the half hour, stopping at any point after gives the same error. Everything else on iPlayer seems OK. I've had this problem before with a full F1 coverage programme (a similar length, over 3 hours). iPlayer help pages have this note: "Please note that there can be a lengthy encoding process involved in making some programmes of 2 hours or more available on BBC iPlayer for some platforms." I'm guessing something is wrong with the encoding for my platform. No reply from the BBC to my query. Has anyone else seen this problem? Does the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony play OK on the iPlayer app on other Sony equipment?
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

For everyone/anyone replying to this thread with the same issue, can you please state your TV model number.

Cheers

@huxley123 - this issue has been discussed in other threads, so it does seem like there is a problem.

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

Sorry, I couldn't find anything recent when I scrolled down.

I saw a similar error some time ago on a shorter programme but that one was listed as a problem on the iPlayer site.

I'm sure I've watched films more then 2 hours long successfully, so it looke like it isn't a general problem with the BBC over 2 hours encoding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Huxley123

Don't be sorry!  This is probably what this issue needs - a separate thread on its own.  Im going to leave it for a day or so, then collate any/all information and then pass it on to Sony Support to figure out :slight_smile:  I personally believe its a BBC issue, but could also be a limitation of the TV - not sure, so....

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

I tried some word searches and it was me who posted about it before - I'd completely forgotten about that.

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bravia-iplayer-content-error/m-p/1400994/highlight/true#M...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw your other post Huxley from Oct 2013 - Appologies that no one responded to it, it probably got lost with the other threads.

Im curious if your problem is different to the others, considering your problem has been going on a lot longer than the others.

Other Threads:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-iplayer-problems-july-2014/m-p/1716679#M20907

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-i-player-not-connecting/m-p/1679817#M20608

Just to inform you, one of the Sony Community Managers has escalated this issue to Sony Support for investigation.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

It could be a related problem, I'm fairly sure programme length has something to do with it.

Both HD & SD selections fail with me at the same point.

I'll try loading other long programmes & see if I can replicate the problem.

frmitch42
Explorer

My model KDL-40EX503, had its firmware updated on Monday to allow it to access Iplayer again. As I have posted elsewhere (and by request I'm posting here) there is now a problem trying to play HD versions of programmes.  In fact in Help > FAQS for this version of Iplayer it clearly states that this version of Iplayer will not play HD.

Yes, it offers higher quality, but only programmes of length 3 hours or less will actually play under this option. What happens is (with a Commonwealth games programme of 3 hours 5 minutes duration) , it says it is getting ready to play, then a brief flash of video appears followed by a return to the menu.
Furthermore, shorter videos which will play under the 'higher quality' option are not in anything approaching HD, not even 720p in my opinion. I cannot tell the difference between the normal play and the 'higher quality' play.
It's not a broadband speed issue, I can stream HD footage using my smart blu ray player or my Sky box, but not on my TV.
I'd like another version of Iplayer which DOES play HD to match my TV spec please.

PS I had an email from Sony Support wanting more details and my phone number, but I don't suspect my TV s faulty after reading other peoples experiences with 4 year old TVs.
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

My problem is definitely something to do with long programmes.

I tried some more Commonwealth Games programmes and the longer programmes (3h) also fail with content error.

The big 6 hour one doesn't fail in the same way, but I can't wind forward on it, it just ends up back at the start, and it seems to freeze for a while.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @frmitch42 

I have had some feedback from Sony:

"

This player's FAQ states it does not do HD.

In the help FAQ’s on the iPlayer app it does say that if a programme was recorded in HD it will not be available on iPlayer in HD.  There is the option to “View in higher quality” which is slightly better quality but clearly not HD. I cannot say if this has changed for this version of iPlayer as the original version is not available to verify.  The newer versions of iPlayer on RB1/RB2 has full HD service.

In reality it is the BBC that has changed the app.

"

Unfortunately, it looks like you will have to contact the BBC in regards to getting the problem resolved.

@huxley123 - The same with your issue as well unfortunately - as it is the BBC that develops the iPlayer application.

The BBC have a "contact us" page, with is located:

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/forms

I hope this at least clarrifies or assists somehow.

Cheers