Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40RD453 Is this HD ready? MANHATTAN SX Freesat HD Set Top Box?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Cazzaworld
New

KDL-40RD453 Is this HD ready? MANHATTAN SX Freesat HD Set Top Box?

Hi,

I purchased the KDL-40RD453 television in October 2016. I am unsure if it is HD ready. I am currently using one of the old Sky boxes as a FreeSat box (this was given to me). I don't have Sky and I don't have broadband. I have noticed that if I don't update my Sky box soon, I will lose the BBC channels. I was wondering, as I am not a Sky customer would the MANHATTAN SX Freesat HD Set Top Box (purchased from Currys) be sufficient as a replacement to the Sky box I am currently using. I am not fussed on getting broadband for the updates on the Manhatten or having Sky. I just want to be able to access BBC and other channels without it being too complicated. Oh, I already have a dish. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Cazzaworld 

Google is your friend - just select the model number, Paste and Search, and viola:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-40rd453/specifications

The bad news is that it isn’t HD Ready 😢

But the good news is that it’s Full HD! 🥳🥳🥳

Why buy the Manhattan from Currys though? Argos have it for £63, £10 less. Through Currys do promise to price match…

But yes, with no broadband, you can update it over USB. Or pop it round a mate’s, someone who does have broadband, which might be easier, for the odd time you will need this.

Note this from Manhattan, though:-

Please note that some satellite dishes that have been set up to receive Sky Q feature an incompatible Wideband LNB (the part that sticks out from the satellite dish), so if you are switching from Sky Q you may need a satellite installation company to change the LNB on your dish back to a Standard or Hybrid fitting in order to make it compatible with Freesat.

No biggie if you need it, but just something to be aware of if you get this box, try it on the dish, and it doesn’t work straight off.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Cazzaworld 

Google is your friend - just select the model number, Paste and Search, and viola:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs/kdl-40rd453/specifications

The bad news is that it isn’t HD Ready 😢

But the good news is that it’s Full HD! 🥳🥳🥳

Why buy the Manhattan from Currys though? Argos have it for £63, £10 less. Through Currys do promise to price match…

But yes, with no broadband, you can update it over USB. Or pop it round a mate’s, someone who does have broadband, which might be easier, for the odd time you will need this.

Note this from Manhattan, though:-

Please note that some satellite dishes that have been set up to receive Sky Q feature an incompatible Wideband LNB (the part that sticks out from the satellite dish), so if you are switching from Sky Q you may need a satellite installation company to change the LNB on your dish back to a Standard or Hybrid fitting in order to make it compatible with Freesat.

No biggie if you need it, but just something to be aware of if you get this box, try it on the dish, and it doesn’t work straight off.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Cazzaworld
New

Hi royabrown2,

Thank you for your advice. Its much appreciated.

Good news, its worked - woo hoo!!! 😁

Even more good news - I saved £10 (thanks for the handy tip about Argos) 🎉

You really are a hero. 😉

Many thanks,

Cazzaworld