Join now - be part of our community!

(KDL-40W605B) .MKV files crashing Media Player

SOLVED
KitchenKnives
Explorer

(KDL-40W605B) .MKV files crashing Media Player

Hey all,

I've recently been trying to play a few .MKV files and getting odd results. Trying to play them from a USB stick or external HDD crashes Media Player every time with no error message. The file attempts to play and the controls/info banner appears at the bottom of the screen, then the screen cuts to black and I have to hit the Home button to get back to where I was.

Initially I figured they simply weren't supported, then strangely, the exact same files played perfectly when I streamed them to the TV via Plex or XBMC, but not Sony's Homestream software. Neither of the servers are transcoding the files (XBMC couldn't if it wanted to), so they should only be able to play because they're supported by the TV. If this is the case, why do they crash via every other method?

I'm thinking this is the kind of error that's only fixed by a software update, but it can't hurt to ask.

25 REPLIES 25
KitchenKnives
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I've just responded to a support email providing them with futher information about my set up. Hopefully it'll help them fix the issue.

I've used MKVToolNix before, but only following online tutorials, so I'm not sure I'd know exactly what to do without help. I'll take a look at it later tonight and see if I can figure something out.

Thanks again!

KitchenKnives
Explorer

So, two weeks later I get a reply asking for more information, including a photo of the error. To be honest I'm not sure I care about it enough to keep going with this. I could take a photo, but it would be of a black screen and/or the generic app crash message. They must know what their own error messages look like.

Either way, it'd mean intentionally crashing my TV again and resetting the entire thing to default, then setting it all up again. It's easier for me just to watch these files on PC.

Apologies if this was leading to a potential fix anybody else was waiting on, but I can't help any more.

mprzycho
Explorer

I got the same problem with mkv hanging my 50w829.

I confirm that the problem is when I try to open file that has no thumbnail (yet - maybe it is still loading)..

The TV freezes and it only starts working when I unplug the power.

On one of files I saw that it was freezing TV at first time (when there was no thumbnail), but after going to that file next time it has thumbnail and it was working ok.

Even when I select File Options > File information on such File the TV freezes and I get Media Player unfortunately stoped message.

When the fix to that error will be available?

profile.country.GB.title
MrPillze
Explorer

Hi

As others have pointed out this is more likely a problem with the way the mkv's were encoded or put together, i remux all my mkv's for compatibility purposes, and there are alot of badly encoded/created mkv's out there :slight_smile:  Ive found that certain languages of subtitles can cause problems with the .mkv container and also something called header stripping can also cause them to not play.

There is nothing actually wrong with the video and audio, its more likely the way that the container around the video and audio has been created, so as pointed out earlier using mkvtoolnix to remux the mkv can solve alot of problems, failing that then handbrake will fix it! :slight_smile:

.mkv is like a box with the audio,video and subtitles contained inside :slight_smile:

This is a great program that uses mkvtoolnix in the background to remux mkvs, it also adds a couple of compatibility fixes as they rebuild! it also allows you to remove foreign audio and subs which can save you ALOT of space :slight_smile:

http://code4effect.com/

Hope this helps !

mprzycho
Explorer

I understand that MKV may cause problems but TV software should handle those problems and display appropriate message, instead of crash requiring unplugging of TV.

There is also something not working well in TV software, because in some cases it works with the same MKV file and sometimes not.

So I think there should be some fix from Sony for one/both of these problems:

1) to prevent from crashing Media Player and TV

2) to display content of MKV files that have no thumbnail yet (are not fully loaded by list view in media player)

thorbarry
New

Sorry to dig up an old thread, did you get anywhere with this?

I am having a smiilar issue with certain MKV's. They seem to stop half way through and say "content not supported". I notice the ones they are happening on are all by the same uploader. Any help would be great, I can submit a new topic if needs be.

Details on the file are here

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 812 MiB
Duration : 21mn 34s
Overall bit rate : 5 265 Kbps
Writing application : x264.exe
Writing library : mkv2rls x264-tv version built on 2011. febr. 17

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 4 712 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.213
Stream size : 727 MiB (90%)
Writing library : x264 core 142 r2491 24e4fed
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.05:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.10
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 69.1 MiB (9%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately this problem has still not been resolved fully.  The work around is to remux the audio and video again.  Or just convert it via a program called 'Handbrake'.  Alternatively, re-download said files from another source.

Cheers

thorbarry
New

That's a shame. I wonder if it will be addressed in future firmware updates. Thanks anyway
__daz__
Explorer

Hello,

I just purchased a brand new KDL-42W705B TV set and having this very same issue. The TV Media Player just stops working whilst browsing my video directories and trying to play one of the files (either AVI o MKV). The message I get is "Unfortunately the Media Player has stopped" popup. Afterwards, I can't play anything, even files that correctly played before and stumble in the same error message. The only way to come unstuck from this unpleasant situation is either to reset the system to factory defaults or pull out the power cord. This is pretty unaccetable.

Now, I can understand that maybe some files are not recognized (even if an ancient 30$ chinese media player hardware plays merrily the offending files), but the Media Player app should just tell me "Sorry can't play this" without requiring me to pull out the cord!

Is there any forecast for a firmware update that solves such serious bug ? 

If needed, I can help in reproducing the issue so to speed up the software fix.

Thanks for your attention

Best Regards

David S.

nrendulic
New

This is really frustrating... more then 50% of files I'm trying to play from USB hard disk gots frozen, crashes the Media Player and gives message "Playback not available"... ironically playback starts properly but crashes sometimes after few minutes or if I'm lucky after 30 minutes.

Please are the any news when new version of firmare will get released, and is fix for this definitelly on the roadmap?