Join now - be part of our community!

(KDL-40W605B) .MKV files crashing Media Player

SOLVED
KitchenKnives
Explorer

(KDL-40W605B) .MKV files crashing Media Player

Hey all,

I've recently been trying to play a few .MKV files and getting odd results. Trying to play them from a USB stick or external HDD crashes Media Player every time with no error message. The file attempts to play and the controls/info banner appears at the bottom of the screen, then the screen cuts to black and I have to hit the Home button to get back to where I was.

Initially I figured they simply weren't supported, then strangely, the exact same files played perfectly when I streamed them to the TV via Plex or XBMC, but not Sony's Homestream software. Neither of the servers are transcoding the files (XBMC couldn't if it wanted to), so they should only be able to play because they're supported by the TV. If this is the case, why do they crash via every other method?

I'm thinking this is the kind of error that's only fixed by a software update, but it can't hurt to ask.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KitchenKnives 

The TV Engineers have responsed with an answer.  They say that the issue is with individual MKV files with certain conditions when it has been encoded.  Unfortunately the exact problem is rather cryptic and I cannot post it. 

However they have suggested the following solution/work-around:

Using a program called MKVToolNix : HERE - remux the specific MKV files.

Ive not used this program before, so....

My next question to them was : Will they issue a FW update to prevent certain 'error' files from totally crashing the TV - I await the answer.

Cheers

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
MrPillze
Explorer

Hi

As others have pointed out this is more likely a problem with the way the mkv's were encoded or put together, i remux all my mkv's for compatibility purposes, and there are alot of badly encoded/created mkv's out there :slight_smile:  Ive found that certain languages of subtitles can cause problems with the .mkv container and also something called header stripping can also cause them to not play.

There is nothing actually wrong with the video and audio, its more likely the way that the container around the video and audio has been created, so as pointed out earlier using mkvtoolnix to remux the mkv can solve alot of problems, failing that then handbrake will fix it! :slight_smile:

.mkv is like a box with the audio,video and subtitles contained inside :slight_smile:

This is a great program that uses mkvtoolnix in the background to remux mkvs, it also adds a couple of compatibility fixes as they rebuild! it also allows you to remove foreign audio and subs which can save you ALOT of space :slight_smile:

http://code4effect.com/

Hope this helps !

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Before jumping to assumptions here, I think we need more information on the file/s that are being played. 

Can you please install a program called MediaInfo : HERE (its free). Open the video file through it, and post back all the details in text format.  Don't worry, just edit any details that you think is not necessary (ie filename) :wink:

Cheers

KitchenKnives
Explorer

Here you go!

General
Unique ID                                : 213186891530593394882397750387355987634 (0xA0624D43BEC81CAE8931BDC90D68AEB2)
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 201 MiB
Duration                                 : 21mn 32s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 1 304 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-02-08 16:21:05
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v6.0.0 ('Coming Up For Air') built on Jan 20 2013 09:52:00
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 6 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 1 172 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.053
Stream size                              : 178 MiB (89%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 112
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1172 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Mode                                     : Joint stereo
Mode extension                           : MS Stereo
Codec ID                                 : A_MPEG/L3
Codec ID/Hint                            : MP3
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 123 Kbps
Minimum bit rate                         : 32.0 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 19.0 MiB (9%)
Writing library                          : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings                        : -m j -V 5 -q 0 -lowpass 17 --vbr-new -b 32

Text
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VobSub
Muxing mode                              : zlib
Codec ID                                 : S_VOBSUB
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on DVDs

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : en:Chapter 1
00:02:29.358                             : en:Chapter 2
00:06:50.577                             : en:Chapter 3
00:12:19.030                             : en:Chapter 4
00:20:21.262                             : en:Chapter 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thank you for posting the additional information.  On the face of things, everything looks quite standard.  However, looking more closer and comparing it to the supported codecs : HERE especially looking at the MKV container.

Supported Codecs.jpg

In the 4th column across from the left, is the supported audio codecs under the MKV container.  There is no mention of MP3 or MPEG1L3.  This 'might' be the cause.  I stress MIGHT !

A suggestion.  Use a program called Handbrake (also free) : HERE - convert the file, dont change the video format/codec, but re-encode the audio codec using AC3 instead (which is supported).

This would then either confirm what is causing the 'crashing' of the media player or at least ruling it out.

Hope this helps

Cheers

KitchenKnives
Explorer

Hey,

I took a look at Handbrake but it doesn't appear to have a video passthrough option, so the video would end up being reencoded anyway. I've kinda given up on playing that particular file, PC will have to do.

Since I'm here, I've also had a few more problems since. The support for .MKV seems pretty bad, with some of them crashing Media Player and then completely freezing up my TV and remote. When this happens, not even putting the TV into standby is enough to bring it back and I'm forced to switch everything off at the socket.

Am I just coincidentally playing a string of unlucky files or is the support really this shaky?

Edit: It's worse than I thought, .MKV files that once worked now don't. When I first got the TV they'd say "content not supported" but play regardless, then after updating they played just fine... now nothing. I don't think I've updated anything at all since they were working, they've just stopped.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you try a Factory Reset of the TV please - you never know.

Let me know if that works anyhow?

Also, another thread that you may be interested in is :

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kdl50w829b-media-player-crashing-when-connecting-external...

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KitchenKnives 

Hi there

Did you manage to do a Factory Reset by any chance?  Are you also on the latest firmware? Just curious to know how you are getting on and is it still an issue?

Cheers

KitchenKnives
Explorer

Hey,

I did a factory reset this morning. I'll try to walk you through what happened.

• After the reset I plugged in my portable drive.

• I have multiple folders of MKV files, some had thumbnails and some didn't, likely due to encoding differences.

• The files showing thumbnails played just fine, albeit with a "Content not supported" message, which I can remove by hitting the subtitles button and using the "No subtitles available" message to clear it.

• I then tried to play a file without a thumbnail and got a black screen, booted back to Media Player where my TV became unresponsive.

• I turned off the TV and power supply, then turned them back on.

• Now none of my MKV files show thumbnails, including the ones that did previously. The ones that worked a moment ago now also cause the TV to freeze.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately I cannot resolve this problem and have no other suggestions at the moment.  However I have reported this thread to Sony Support as an escalation in the hopes that they can resolve it (also in conjunction with another thread of very similar symptoms).

When I hear anything, Ill reply back in this thread.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @KitchenKnives 

The TV Engineers have responsed with an answer.  They say that the issue is with individual MKV files with certain conditions when it has been encoded.  Unfortunately the exact problem is rather cryptic and I cannot post it. 

However they have suggested the following solution/work-around:

Using a program called MKVToolNix : HERE - remux the specific MKV files.

Ive not used this program before, so....

My next question to them was : Will they issue a FW update to prevent certain 'error' files from totally crashing the TV - I await the answer.

Cheers