Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W653a - USB HDD registration for recording.

adam_cr

KDL42W653a - USB HDD registration for recording.

This TV is about to go back to the shop!

So the manual says the TV supports usb drives over 32gb for recording. I've bought a 64gb usb flash drive, formatted it to FAT32, plugged it into the telly and registration for recording always fails. No useful messages are displayed, just 'HDD registration failed'. Can someone help me before this TV causes me a breakdown?!

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I'm afraid not. Your requirements are not for the hdd, but for your TV to have 2 tuners.

Janekch

Hello macklij, you said you successfully registred two HDDs on your KDL 32w654a. I have KDL 42w805a(software should be the same Ihope) and I want to register my Buffalo HDD 500gb, I divided my HDD on two partitions one is FAT16 and one is NTFS. Now my question- will TV register one of partitionsfor itself or format HDD and create new partition on whole HDD.

macklij
Explorer

I'm pretty sure it will format the whole disk into several non-Microsoft partitions. I'm not sure which formats, but they won't be readable by Windows. I think Linux can see the partitions but maybe not the contents.

A Google on 'sony tv hdd format partition' appears promising...

Good luck.

tch1946
New

to format the usb stick for the pc after sony has tried to register it insert the stick into your pc, select start, right click computer, manage, and select disk management in storage section, you can then select the stick and format it to fat32, it may take a while but it has worked for me.