Join now - be part of our community!

KDL46EX503 Wired Internet Connection Problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
21shergar
Visitor

KDL46EX503 Wired Internet Connection Problem

I must start by saying I am the opposite of an IT expert.

My problem is that I can't connect up my KDL46EX503 TV with the internet.

I use homeplug adapters and have tried entering the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS Server data as described by my PC. The "auto" option didn't work at all. I have a netgear router providing Sky internet. I have followed the instructions carefully, but keep getting the following message when I try to conect my TV to the internet:

Cable Connection        OK

local Access               Failed

Internet Access           Failed

Do I need to enter further information anywhere? What steps must I take? What is a proxy server and do I need to information about that? (I have no idea what a proxy server is). For a wired set up do I enter my WEP (whatever that is) and if so, where do I enter it?

I have reached a dead end. All my equipment seems to be functioning and I've followed directions to the letter.

I've read elsewhere that a factory re-set or router re-set may help, but how does one do that and what effect will that have on my existing two PCs both of which pick up the internet fine (one wired, one wireless)? Will a factory re-set mean that I lose my freeview and analogue channels and will need to tune in again? And will the internet connection for my PCs disappear leading to more rather than fewer problems.

Sorry for all the questions, but as ever, IT is not intuitive for me and has so far led to hours of frustration.

All and any help would be gratefully received, peferably an idiot's guide for the benefit of myself.

Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
flintst0ne
New

If you check the status of the wired interface on the TV, it should show you what IP address has been allocated?  I have the wireless interface and when I ask for the status I can see the IP address that has been allocated by my wireless router.

It looks like you already have two PCs that are already being successfully allocated IP addresses automatically, so the success/failure of the test I have suggested previously should point you in the right direction of where your problem lies?

Good luck

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
flintst0ne
New

Hi,

The issue looks like your IP addressing is incorrrect, so you are unable to connect to anything.

I presume your home PC either has a fixed IP that was manually added or learns a dynamic IP from your Netgear router, which is the normal option?  What to do:

Make sure the Ethernet cable from the Netgear to the Bravia is up.  You should see a link light at both ends?

Note - Assuming that the homeplug adapters are working correctly?

(Fixed)

Take the IP address of your PC and add let say 10 E.g. IP address of PC - 192.168.0.2.  Add 10 to give you 192.168.0.12.  This is to hopefully make sure no one else is using the new IP address for the Bravia.  Use the same mask and default gateway etc as the PC

(Dynamic)

If the Bravia is set to Auto it should learn a dynamic IP from the Netgear?

You will not need to do anything with a proxyserver as that it usually for business use who proxy the Internet.

WEP is for wireless security settings use and it looks like you do not have wireless?

Good luck

21shergar
Visitor

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm confident that the homeplug adapters are functioning - all the relevant lights are shining and they are supposedly plug and play. The Bravia is telling me that the cable is OK, but it's not picking up a server. I don't know what that means.

I have tried a few variations of the IP address, but I will certainly follow your advice and see what happens. Do you think I need to restore to factory settings for the TV and router?

flintst0ne
New

In 'auto' you need a DHCP server to learn the IP address, so maybe that is what it means by not picking up a server?  Maybe for test purposes just move your Netgear adjacent to the TV and plug a cable directly and see if you learn an IP address?

I would restore the TV to factory settings but you should only need to reboot the Netgear as I assume your PC is learning an IP address Ok?

Good luck

21shergar
Visitor

Thanks, again.

I'm afraid there isn't a 'phone line anywhere near the TV, so I can't do what you suggest. If the homeplug adapters are working, wouldn't that operate as per having the router directly connected? I'll try re-setting the TV and re-booting the router.

Could I trouble you to tell me what you mean by needing a DHCP server to learn the IP address?

Why is that getting IT to opereate successfully is so often so difficult? I never seem to have the same problem with my fridge, kettle, washing machine etc.

Anyway, I'm really grateful for your time.

flintst0ne
New

The Netgear router has a DHCP server process running automatically for its LAN ports, where if any device is attached to the LAN port and is in 'auto' mode for IP addressing, will request an IP address to be allocated to itself, which will also include the netmask, default gateway etc. This allows the device E.g. PC and/or TV to talk to the Netgear router and then ultimately the Internet.  By default most devices are in 'auto' mode and so will be the Netgear router?

You do not need a phone line near the TV, just power for the Netgear router, which can then be directly connected to the TV via Ethernet cable.  You do not need to connect to the phone line for this test.  I just wanted to know whether your Netgear router will allocate an IP address to your TV automatically, which it should do?  You will not be able to connect to the Internet, but you should see if the TV is allocated an IP address?  If it does allocate an IP address automatically, then we know there is an issue with the homeplug adapters?  If it doesn't allocate an IP address, then there could be an issue with your TV?  I am assuming your home PC is already automatically being allocated an IP address etc?

I am just lucky that I am IT literate in the above :slight_smile:

Good luck

21shergar
Visitor

Thanks, yet again.

I'll try the router as you suggest. How will I know if an IP address has been allocated automatically?

There's no problem with a wired internet connection to one PC and a wireless connection to another.

Message was edited by: 21shergar

flintst0ne
New

If you check the status of the wired interface on the TV, it should show you what IP address has been allocated?  I have the wireless interface and when I ask for the status I can see the IP address that has been allocated by my wireless router.

It looks like you already have two PCs that are already being successfully allocated IP addresses automatically, so the success/failure of the test I have suggested previously should point you in the right direction of where your problem lies?

Good luck

21shergar
Visitor

Thanks for all your help.

As it happens, a factory re-set of the TV and a re-boot of the router solved the problem.

All is now working swimmingly.

Many thanks, indeed, Fred.

flintst0ne
New

Glad everything is now working as it should :slight_smile: