Join now - be part of our community!

Losing Freeview Channels; Retune not helping

profile.country.GB.title
alexl102
New

Losing Freeview Channels; Retune not helping

I bought a new Bravia TV in January. It's connected to an anntennae and also has an old-style Sky Box attached via Scart (ie no Sky HD or Sky+).

Anyway, everything was great (except for the appalling response time when using the remote) until a few weeks ago when, out of the blue, certain freeview channels would occasionally just show 'No signal'. There's no pattern to it and it's continued to do it on and off - yesterday everything was fine, today it doesn't work.

What's even more confusing is that sometimes if I flick onto a channel, the program will show for 5 seconds before disappearing and showing 'No Signal'.

I've tried doing digital retunes which are bringing varying degrees of success. The first couple brought just 33 channels - The original 5, their HD equivalents and a few others like Al Jazeera (which I don't even want).

Then I managed to get 65 channels, which includes freeview channels 1-9,18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 35, 40 (none inbetween in that group) and then some more at random numerical intervals above that.

Then I got 74 channels, which almost solved the problem (I'm specifically after E4 and E4+1 right now) but still there were random channels missing - for example, E4 appeared but E4+1 wasn't there.

I would really like to get this sorted - my Dad refuses to watch anything through the TV's freeview now as it's so intermittent, despite the sky box picture quality being really poor. And naturally, I'm finding it really frustrating - I don't actually watch much TV, but when I do want to watch certain programs, I often can't get them.

UPDATE: I got 99 channels which seems to include everything I'd normally watch but the signal dropping issue remains. :@

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @alexl102 

I think we need to take things in steps here, as the cause can almost be unlimted.

Unfortunately I dont know the model of your TV, so I cannot give specific instructions.

Firstly:

• Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed on the TV
  • Perform a factory reset of the TV.

Secondly:

1. Disconnect ALL equipment from the TV (ie Sky Box), but only leave the freeview aerial connected
  2. Ensure that your aerial cable is of good construction (ie not damaged) - replace if needed.
  3. Retune the TV during the day.

When you retune, do you notice a trend where it works after the retune, but the next day its back to square one?    If so, turn OFF "Digital Auto Service Update" - As the the TV scans the frequencies each night to see if there are any changes - but can cause problems with freeview signals when there is a high pressure weather system (Atmospherics)

See how that goes firstly anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
johndaviddownes
New

All

I did the re-tune etc, but the problem was at the TV ariel signal booster gadget (4 ways spliter) in the bedroom. Two bare wires touching thus it was not on!! Did a small repair re- tuned the TV. Jobs was a good un. Its just another place to look?

Regards

Dave Downes 

profile.country.GB.title
Bobmoore67
New

I’ve spent the last 2.5 hours trying to retune my Sony Bravia tv. We bought it early 2017 and it’s the worst tv experience I’ve ever had. Constantly looses channels and  rarely updates itself automatically. Can be watching a programme, then change channel and when you try to go back to it it’s not there, yet other channels are. I’m at my wits end with this tv. I’ve come so close to smashing it on numerous occasions 

profile.country.GB.title
Really-frustrated
Explorer

I have had the same problem ever since i bought my Sony Bavaria tv in Dec 17.

I have retunned digital auto tetune and now only have channels 1  2  7  9  16 then total of 56 channels.

Some days its is mostly ok but the channels  break up.  Sometimes no freeview.  I would like to return this tv it is so frustrating not just to be able to sit down, relax n watch what you want.  

I am going to bring back my old tv Panasonic from upstairs n see how that behaves.  Hope yours is ok now.

profile.country.GB.title
kcornwall

I have had a similar problem.In my case, a workaround does fix the problem.

I can recieve a local relay(freeview light)  also the main station.

They are about the same distant but different channel groups.

The Tv starts searching from channel 21 stops on 23 26 29 it then carrys on to the main station starting at 41 & so on.

When all done, PSB1 PSB 3  PSB2 are of very poor quality with picture & sound break up.

The trick is to remove the antenna lead until the tuning has passed channel 30,plug back in, all the main station channels are stored.Theres a very good chance that many areas of the county are so affected.

profile.country.GB.title
Really-frustrated
Explorer

Thank you I’ll give that’s go.
profile.country.GB.title
kcornwall

The other thing you can do is to insert an attenuator in the antenna lead, so that the weak signals do not get tuned in.

If you can recieve the main station/ wanted station with good signal strength is works.

Good Luck  Keith

profile.country.GB.title
Really-frustrated
Explorer

Thank you. I googled that. A clever bit of kit.
I think I have sorted my problem now almost.
But I’ll bear that in mind if I loose channels again.

Hm, I've had my Bravia for 4 yrs and carried out the retune recently required in my area. However E4 has now disappeared with "No Signal" despite details showing on the programme guide,  altho E4+1 is received OK!