Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
Notsosmart
Visitor

So just to be clear :

Sony has Netflix on the latest sets in the UK and has Netflix on the older (12 mnth) sets in other Countries.

Therefore it is not a Geographical License issue and not a hardware issue?

So Sony just don't want to allow customers in the UK with 12mnth old sets to have the latest content.

Makes sense!

'Why can't I get netflix on my Sony led'

'Netflix on Sony led'

'Sony netflix'

'Netflix on Sony TV'

'Netflix doesn't work on Sony led TV'

'How to get netflix on Sony smart TV'

'Netflix Sony smart TV'

'How do I get netflix on my Sony led smart TV'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, ill bite, just curious on how you come to the conclusion that its not a hardware issue?

Notsosmart
Visitor

.. because the same kit in different territories is able to have the latest Apps?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct, but what happens IF Netflix change the rules. Meaning, they change the DRM requirements for UK. Therefore and unintentional consequence of these changes (DRM) is that the processing requirements is higher. Then the knock on effect is that the hardware cannot cope.

Summing up

- Netflix change the DRM requirements for the UK

- Previous generations of TV's cannot cope with the additional processing requirements.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/1265664

Notsosmart
Visitor

Thanks for the link. Read through it and I appreciate the context however I don't think the DRM Issue (P3) actually explains anything. Does it say that the Netflix delivery method is different in the UK or that the Hardware in the UK actually is?

Why are some users using a proxy to route through other regions able to use Netflix?

I also find it strange that given the latest working kit is just around 14mnths old, wouldn't Netflix want their service to be available on the majority share of the market on pre 2012 Smart TVs rather than apparently deliver an entirely different product especially for the UK? Clearly something that they have the ability to change by region. Why restrict your market deliberately?

I read somewhere that it's the HD Content causing the issue however Lovefilm don't seem to have any problem with it on pre 2012 boxes.

For the record I have Apple TVs dropped onto my non Netflix Sony & Samsungs; I just don't like the smell of Smart TVs that are 'software' obsolete within 2 months of purchase.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

The way the content is secured & delived in Europe is different yes. Studios demand increasing protection for their content, to the extent that the European Netflix UX on 2012+ devices is different to US 2010-2012 devices which uses a different type of DRM alltogether. As this type isn't by todays standards considered strong enough, partners no longer like to launch services using this DRM moving to newer vesions which provide not only better user experiences but stronger protection as mandated by the studios. Also active Connected TV's are a relatively small category for Netflix when compared to games consoles in Europe.

Thanks

Notsosmart
Visitor

Hi Catmambo,

I'm not sure where User Experience & DRM are related but have you used the Lovefilm App? IMO it has the worst UX of any and Partners don't have any issue with distributing that.

With regards to the DRM not being secure enough, isn't that a Netflix issue and not a partner issue? Regardless of the fact, why is it good enough for the US but not the UK? Are you saying that they demand more security in the UK?

On the point of market share, Connected Inteligence Jan 2013 state that 40% of users watch Netflix through their TV and this is the most popular method.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi, I guess you are referring to this report right? http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/22/netflix-streaming-usage-hdtv-pc/ It is US only data where market dynamics are very different and HDTV category in the report includes game consoles apparently, so it doesn't breakout console useage. Indeed you can see the iPlayer data here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/iplayer/iplayer-performance-mar13.pdf Console usage was bigger a little while back, but that share has been eaten into by tablets massively, but you can see how small connected TV usage is.

Any video partner have to secure approval from the studio before they can launch on a device, and they require approval on a device by device basis. So yes it is Netflix question, but they wouldn't be permitted to launch unless the studio approved.

Hope this answers your question

thanks

drhowells
New

Notsosmart wrote:

With regards to the DRM not being secure enough, isn't that a Netflix issue and not a partner issue? Regardless of the fact, why is it good enough for the US but not the UK? Are you saying that they demand more security in the UK?

It is a Netflix and partner issue, but their way to solve the problem was to make it a Sony problem as well. When Netflix entered the UK market at the beginning of last year, the studios basically told them to increase their security for their films and programs. The way they did this was to use a new DRM system. This increased DRM needs more processing power to decode and the pre-2012 models unfortunatley couldn't cope with it properly. At the end of the day, these are TV's not power horse PC's. They are designed to do a limited number of things well and if something radical happens, they can't cope too well with the changes. Smart TV's are still fairly new technology and this is one of those things that shows some of the problems that occur.

As for why it is good enough for the US and not the UK, that is a question that you would have to ask Netflix. It is the choice that they made and that we, in the UK, all have to live with.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi, I guess you are referring to this report right? http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/22/netflix-streaming-usage-hdtv-pc/ It is US only data where market dynamics are very different and HDTV category in the report includes game consoles apparently, so it doesn't breakout console useage. I see our European consumption statistics for all services and the patterns are different. Indeed you can see the iPlayer data here http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/iplayer/iplayer-performance-mar13.pdf Console usage was bigger a little while back, but that share has been eaten into by tablets massively, but you can see how small connected TV's/Blu-ray players are as a percentage share of total usage.

Any video partner have to secure approval from the studio before they can launch on a device, and they require approval on a device by device basis. So yes it is Netflix question, but they wouldn't be permitted to launch unless the studio approved.

Hope this answers your question

thanks