Join now - be part of our community!

New KDL55W905 keeps dropping Wi-fi

SOLVED
SoneLoc
New

New KDL55W905 keeps dropping Wi-fi

I got my KDL55W905 back in Mid December and I love it but in the past few weeks I've encountered a quite serious problem, my wi-fi connection consistently drops whenever I watch internet content for more than 2 minutes. This problem occurs whether I am watching Youtube, BBC iplayer or my own content over DLNA.

I've tested my connection out and in the same room it is fine and strong on my laptop, my phone and my tablet so I don't believe that the signal is weak.

I've even had content I was watching over DLNA freeze and fail on the TV then switched the PS3 underneath it on and it has played just fine!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think your issues are due to wifi.  I think that when its working you have 3 bars - but when it drops to 2 or lower thats when you are experiencing issues.  I am unsure on what support can advise to be honest. 

As the TV cannot be "hard-wired" as such, you could invest in a set of Homeplugs, such as these : HERE or even HERE

Hope that helps

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In the network settings on the TV, can you goto network status and see how many "bars" are on your wifi signal (you really need 3 or more for it to perform ok). 

Can you also test and see what happens when connecting an ethernet cable to the TV from the router?  If it does work, you might want to consider "wiring" the TV to the router, as it will give a much more stable connection anyhow.

Also ensure that you have the latest firmware installed.

Cheers

SoneLoc
New

Hi, thanks for the advice.

I've checked my network status and I do indeed have 3 bars. Unfortunately I cannot hardwire the TV to the router as my router is 2 floors up in a bedroom. Again I haven't had any connection problems with any other devices in the same room at the same distance so I'm quite confused to be honest.

Is there any other advice you can offer or should I give Sony Tech support a call?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think your issues are due to wifi.  I think that when its working you have 3 bars - but when it drops to 2 or lower thats when you are experiencing issues.  I am unsure on what support can advise to be honest. 

As the TV cannot be "hard-wired" as such, you could invest in a set of Homeplugs, such as these : HERE or even HERE

Hope that helps

Cheers

B00M3R
New

Hi Quinnicus

I have the same issue and always seem to have  3 bars when I check. My main question though is around cable connection. I run a pfsense firewall and when trying to set up cable connection it says cable connection OK but local connection and internet access failed. The TV sits within a vlan which is the same vlan my home PCs sit in and all works fine. Could this be the issue with the cable connection?

if i connect via wifi same vlan i establish connection ok and functionality is fine, although I experince drop outs occassionally

Regards John

profile.country.GB.title
RandomeNeweGuy

My wifi router is literally 1 metre away from the TV, and this still happens when I stream a high-bitrate movie over DLNA. I don't think it has anything to do with signal strength (what would affect a signal on a router sitting 1M away from the TV with clear line of sight?) It is probably more related to the wifi drivers on the TV or the physical antenna design on the wifi built into the TV.