Join now - be part of our community!

Presence sensor problem KDL-40EX520

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
Rrautane
Visitor

Presence sensor problem KDL-40EX520

Hi,

I just bought Sony KDL-40EX520 tv and I have been quite happy with it. I only have one problem with it. Intermittently television will go to power saving mode and picture turns off. It will wake when any button of the remote is pushed.

This is very annoying when watching movies. I know there is a presence sensor which should detect people sitting in front of tv. Mine is not working or there is some kind of software bug. According to iManual there should be a setting in Eco menu to disable the presence sensor. My tv does not have that setting (picture attached). Firmware version of the tv is PKG2.129EUA-0104 which is the newest one.

How can I disable this annoying sensor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_IE.title
etrahm
Visitor

Hi Rrautane,

Go to Settings  - Eco - and change Idle TV Standby to OFF. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Rrautane,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Does the picture go off leaving only sound.?

Are you able to switch the TV back on again after it swithes off.?

Also have you checked that the Sleep or On timer is not enabled in the iManual System Settings > Clock/Timers..

:thinking:

Rrautane
Visitor

I don't use internal speakers. Sound goes directly to my AV receiver. But I would assume sound from the tv will stop as soon as the power saving kicks in. I can test that though.

TV turns on when I push any button on the remote. The screen then says: Power Saving: OFF (or something similar)

Sleep and On timers are OFF.

It seems the presence sensor does not work correctly. It would be no  issue for me if I could turn it off permanently. Now there seems to be  no way to disable it.

Message was edited by: Rrautane

profile.country.en_IE.title
etrahm
Visitor

Hi Rrautane,

Go to Settings  - Eco - and change Idle TV Standby to OFF. Hope this helps.

Rrautane
Visitor

If you look at the attached picture in the first post you will see it is off.

Just watched Avatar Extended edition. Every thirty minutes tv will say "Picture will turn off soon". If I don't pick up the remote and press a button tv will go to power saving mode. SO annoying. It really wrecks the movie experience.

I'll try restoring factory defaults. Maybe it will make that missing menu item visible. This really is shame because I just had the picture tuned the way I like it. If it won't help I must contact warranty service. It is really nice to have to transport three days old tv to service. I'm really looking forward to it. Not really... 🙂

By the way why do you mark this thread answered when it clearly is not?

EDIT: Factory reset done. No change. Still no way to disable the Presence sensor. Seems like service call to me.

Message was edited by: Rrautane