Join now - be part of our community!

Problems watching Sky HD. HDCP error message. Please help!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pcamichel
Visitor

Problems watching Sky HD. HDCP error message. Please help!

Hello.  I am having an issue with my Sky HD box.  Since saturday it is displaying a message saying "This display does not support HDCP".  My only option is to press back-up.  When I do this the screen goes blank and nothing works.  I have been on the Sky website and followed their instructions and spoken to their call-centre but nothing works.  I have tried different HDMI cables, different TV's (KDL52HX903 and KDL26EX302 to name but 2).  I have done a software download on the box and reformatted the HDD (I think) and nothing works.  I would really appreciate any help as I am on the verge of replacing the Sky box but don't want to waste money if possible.  (By the way, none of the equipment is mine, I work in a Sony Centre)!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pcamichel
Visitor

Hi Catmambo.  We only have the one Sky box in the store so haven't tried another box.  Blu-ray and PS3 work fine though.  I also think that the Sky box is faulty.  This will mean we are buying our 3rd Sky box in about 5 years!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Catmambo
Contributor

No reason why it shouldn't work - you could update the TV firmware, but that isn't mandatory for this to function.

Have a feeling its a faulty Sky box..Have you tried the TV's on a different Sky box?

Thanks

pcamichel
Visitor

Hi Catmambo.  We only have the one Sky box in the store so haven't tried another box.  Blu-ray and PS3 work fine though.  I also think that the Sky box is faulty.  This will mean we are buying our 3rd Sky box in about 5 years!

pinkpep78
Visitor

I have this problem at the moment and have had sky out and the box replaced.  The tech blokes have said that the HD is always evolving and the tv cant keep up with the box unless it is updated too.   He advised that i contact sony to get my tv updated.

Catmambo
Contributor

Where do these engineers get their stories from. The Sky box does all the decoding and simply outputs a signal to the TV over HDMI, so assuming the TV has HDMI ( which is built to a specific standard) then it will work. Thus I could plug a Sky HD box into an old 32V2000 and it would work fine...

I this particular case, my gut feeling is its simply a faulty Sky box....

Message was edited by: Catmambo

tp11235
Visitor

You are not the only one - this has cropped up for lots of us in the last month. It is not the first time it has happened either. If you check the web there are reports of the problem occurring in 2006 and 2008 as well.

I really don't think it is a hardware issue. I suspect Sky sent out a software update to counter some new way people have discovered to copy the HD signals.

When I spoke to Sky they said the system is there to detect interference with the signal that might indicate a device sitting between the TV and Sky Box. I guess the recorder device manufacturers and Sky are in an arms race with the recorders trying to be more and more transparent and Sky getting more and more sophisticated in their detection.

Meanwhile you and I are getting very angry at having to reset our HD boxes twice a day.

I am about to give Sky another piece of my mind - I'll let you know what they say.

Tim.

Bigpupcooper
New

Have you found a solution to this issue?

pcamichel
Visitor

Thank you for your posts.  Still no solution, I have tried everything suggested on various forums/websites and nothing works.  I guess it's a new Sky box for me.

skbb34
Visitor

Did the new Sky box resolve the problem?

I have the same thing and am currently on my second box - Sky now telling me it must be the TV ...!!

I’m now having to use a scart and pouring over the internet for help...

Has anyone found the root of this problem?

xXxStingxXx
Visitor

It is not the sky box, i have a very similar problem although i have the sony bravia KDL-46S2510 which has 2 HDMI ports (AV4/5) and both were working perfectly until i decieded to connect my home cinema via HDMI, now neither works and the cables are fine because i used the sky box and cables on my other TV. One thing that makes me boil is that the TV insists something is connected but it don't show it! Why are things so complicated????