Join now - be part of our community!

Queries concerning a TV system update

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Queries concerning a TV system update

I recently purchased KDL-42W829B TV. Yesterday, I tried to start the BBC iPlayer app which I last used a few weeks ago. However, this time, the TV responded by informing me that a system update is available and asking me whether I want to update the system now or later. I chose later but, instead of starting the BBC iPlayer app, the TV put me back into the Apps menu screen. I tried again, with exactly the same result.

Question 1: Is this the expected behaviour? Frankly, I think it is blackmail - either you update your system or I’m not letting you into BBC iPlayer. I was astounded!

So I gave up at that point and, in Help > Customer Support, I set Automatic Software Download to On (previously, it had been Off) and the Download Time to 03:00 (3am). I then switched the TV off using the green button on the remote control, but left the power on to the TV (presumably, this is standby mode?) . In the morning, when I switched the TV on, there was no indication that it had downloaded the update data. I tried starting the BBC iPlayer app and received the same response as before.

Question 2: Is this the expected behaviour? In general, might you have to wait some time (days, months?) before the TV decides to download the update data?

So now I felt that my only option was to perform a manual system update. In Help > Customer Support, I set Automatic Software Download back to Off and selected the Software Update option. The TV downloaded the update data and finally asked me whether I wanted to update the system now or later. This time I chose now. After a few minutes of black screens with the rotating “busy” icon, the TV picture eventually came back. I then started navigating with the remote control but, after about a minute or two, I received a message confirming that the system update had been completed and asking me whether I want to set Automatic Software Download to On. I chose On.

Question 3: There is very little documentation about what to expect when you perform a system update. I assumed that, when the TV picture reappears, the update is complete. Do you always get a confirmation message when a system update is complete? And is it always advisable to wait for the confirmation message before trying to do anything with the TV? Might I have caused any problem by not waiting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

Question 1: Is this the expected behaviour? Frankly, I think it is blackmail - either you update your system or I’m not letting you into BBC iPlayer. I was astounded!

This is entirely dependable on what the update is for.  If iPlayer was not being updated or connected services, I would expect iPlayer to work without the update.  Before you use iPlayer, it goes through BBC Authentication servers and its upto the BBC to decide whether to "approve" the use of the iPlayer.  I can only assume it may not let you into the iPlayer due to security reasons, and this is why an update is mandatory.  So, not blackmail :slight_smile:

Question 2: Is this the expected behaviour? In general, might you have to wait some time (days, months?) before the TV decides to download the update data?

This is normal behaviour for an Over-the-air update via the Freeview broadcast system as far as I am aware.  The OTA update may only be available for a few hours during the night (maybe 24 hours, when bandwidth is available) - It may be available again at a later date again depending upon whatever agreement the manufacturer has in place. The OTA updates are like SMS texts....Best efforts/no guarrantee. Its always best just the update the TV when available.  Takes less than 5 minutes.  Alternatively do a manual update - but need the internet connected. 

There is an update schedule for these updates - however I find the schedule not very reliable:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/download_schedule.php

Question 3: There is very little documentation about what to expect when you perform a system update. I assumed that, when the TV picture reappears, the update is complete. Do you always get a confirmation message when a system update is complete? And is it always advisable to wait for the confirmation message before trying to do anything with the TV? Might I have caused any problem by not waiting?

The basic functions of a TV, is to display a picture from a broadcasting signal.  So, as soon as the TV is ready it will do so.  It will then continue to update whatever software it needs to update in the background.  Once the Update has been complete you should receive a message to confirm this.  It is my personal opinion, to leave the TV until you receive this confirmation message that the update has completed.  I dont think it would cause any harm - if so, I would expect far more complaints on these forums over the last couple of years.  

Hope this answers you questions

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I'll do my best to answer your questions:

This is entirely dependable on what the update is for.  If iPlayer was not being updated or connected services, I would expect iPlayer to work without the update.  Before you use iPlayer, it goes through BBC Authentication servers and its upto the BBC to decide whether to "approve" the use of the iPlayer.  I can only assume it may not let you into the iPlayer due to security reasons, and this is why an update is mandatory.  So, not blackmail :slight_smile:

This is normal behaviour for an Over-the-air update via the Freeview broadcast system as far as I am aware.  The OTA update may only be available for a few hours during the night (maybe 24 hours, when bandwidth is available) - It may be available again at a later date again depending upon whatever agreement the manufacturer has in place. The OTA updates are like SMS texts....Best efforts/no guarrantee. Its always best just the update the TV when available.  Takes less than 5 minutes.  Alternatively do a manual update - but need the internet connected. 

There is an update schedule for these updates - however I find the schedule not very reliable:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/work/download_schedule.php

The basic functions of a TV, is to display a picture from a broadcasting signal.  So, as soon as the TV is ready it will do so.  It will then continue to update whatever software it needs to update in the background.  Once the Update has been complete you should receive a message to confirm this.  It is my personal opinion, to leave the TV until you receive this confirmation message that the update has completed.  I dont think it would cause any harm - if so, I would expect far more complaints on these forums over the last couple of years.  

Hope this answers you questions

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Thanks Quinnicus.  Nice answer.