Join now - be part of our community!

Removal of VEWD TV Store

Removal of VEWD TV Store

I notice Vewd is going to be removed from my Sony Tv.  Is it going to be replaced with something else? If not how am I to download apps I want/ need??

Tags (1)
155 REPLIES 155
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Tornike,

@Tornike wrote:

Nic you are just saying that I have no chance if I sue Sony for this. 

no, that is not what I am saying - I only wanted to point out that any digital service on any device can be discontinued/closed any day. That was all I wanted to say.

You may have a chance to sue Sony, since I don't know what terms and agreements you bought the TV on.

@Tornike  wrote:

because your lawyers are better lawyers than I am

What do you mean? I am not Sony and I also don't work for Sony. :thinking:

@Tornike  wrote:

Fair company should take care of their customers and that is not the case with Sony!

As I said - it is not a Sony-specific issue - if your smartphone gets older it may not receive the latest OS-update (be it Android or iOS) and even if - maybe certain services will drop support for older devices, since their hardware can't keep up or their GPU can't decode the latest video codec (e.g. H.265 or in the future H.266).

It is and has always been that way with software - older devices sooner or later don't receive support or some services stop to work. Don't tell me with your TV it has been the first time that happened to you?

I for my part am a big fan of normal cellphones - screen on top - number buttons below (man I love T9). I bought myself a Nokia Asha 206 on one of my birthdays, since I really liked the design and wanted something new - it even featured a simple browser where I could check my Emails on the go (a feature I need to have on a phone).

About three years after I bought it, my email provider changed their mobile site which made it impossible to log-in with my beloved phone, so I had to get a smartphone to be able to do this again. 

@Tornike  wrote:

P.S. Do you read all hundreds of pages of terms and conditions of anything you use?

Generally not. If then though something happens which I don't like I then look for it in the terms of agreements and check if it has been part of the rules all along. If it has, I can only blame myself for not reading them - it would have prevented an unpleasant surprise.

I though should read them more often - on time a company did hide a price inside their TOS, so when a woman from the UK read them and found that line, she won 10000 pounds. Imagine how sure the company must have been that people don't read them if they put this in. Makes one think...

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Tornike
Explorer

Would you expect buying named brand smart TV, would not be Smart in just 6 months? 

Is it normal?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Tornike,

your reply lets me assume you got my comment completely wrong - I just wanted to point out that it can happen to any software on any device (even your future TV which may or may not be from a different brand than Sony) - it was merely a comment.

In no way did I want to imply that you can't complain about VEWD being removed from the TVs you and the others here own. :wink:

- Nic

profile.country.MK.title
Zoki84

Why are they named a smart tvs? For youtube and photo phrame? If i wanted to have android box then i would bue standart tv without intherner and it whill cost much less then sony smart tv? They know they ***** up but sony makes many from there production and dont care about tv s and other technics they are selling

profile.country.GB.title
Helin0x

Your analogy with the phone is incorrect, Your phone may not support the latest updates past a point but your mail client will always be there as up to date as it was. If the app was removed and the App Store removed then it would be the same. In addition you can always look for an alternative mail provider who still accept your outdated mail app. But we cannot as we do not have direct control over the tv

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Helin0x,

@Helin0x  schrieb:

Your phone may not support the latest updates past a point but your mail client will always be there as up to date as it was. 

please read my comment again - since I accessed the emails trough the (very simplistic version of the Opera) browser and the mobile-version of the website was updated (to a format, which said browser couldn't display correctly and therefore it was impossible to get past the login page), it is exactly the same as what happened with your TV.

YouTube/Netflix/... is not gone (you can still access it trough your PC/Smartphone) but you can't access it on the TV anymore.

That is the reason I included this short story.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Helin0x

All of this time wasting steps to follow, like the people on the phone don’t even know that it’s been cancelled. Sony themselves have posted that’s it’s gone, the model numbers affected and an apology. Yet you have to jump through a bunch of hoops specific to your tv, like how would any of that renew the vewd contract?!

profile.country.GB.title
Helin0x

Please read through mine. You still have the opera browser, it’s not been removed. What’s to stop you signing up with another mail provider whose website is still supported in your browser?

on top of that your mail provider changed their site. Not the phone manufacturer. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

@Helin0x  schrieb:

Please read through mine. You still have the opera browser, it’s not been removed. What’s to stop you signing up with another mail provider whose website is still supported in your browser?

I ignored that part, since if you bring that up I could as well say "why don't you purchase a Fire TV stick for your TV?" - and I am sure that would kind of defeat the point you are trying to make in this thread- same as I am sure you wouldn't get a new email-adress and get all your accounts/contacts in order again (at least I wouldn't). 

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Helin0x

Your issue is not the same, if vewd had broken the tv we could not complain to Sony that their tv is not as advertised, this is what’s happening in your phone analogy

With regards to the fire stick, your phone whilst inconvenienced with changing things never requires you to buy a 3rd party device or a new phone. You could still have got mail albeit in a different way than before. If you couldn’t get mail at all and it was the manufacturer taking it away, then it would be the same, but this is not the case