Join now - be part of our community!

SMP-N200 error

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sidblue
Explorer

SMP-N200 error

Hi just purchased the above unit and already stumbled across a few problems. BBC iPlayer is not working, you can access the page but some but not all programs display this message.

"Network Problem BBC iplayer was unable to connect to a required server. Please check your network connection and try again"

Would I lie to you= Works

Frozen Planet= Above message is displayed.

Country Tracks =Same message.

Another problem is I can't stream photos or music from my Windows Laptop, video files work perfectly and I see the WMP logo under the film icon but not under photo's or music. Why is this?

Software Version : M10.r.0579

Provisioning Server Connection status: Succeeded

I'm sure this is a temporary software issue (I hope) but is there anyone experiencing  the same problems?

UPDATE 22/12/2011

Still no word from Sony and still the same problem, I have tried 4 boxes to date all with the same issue.

Message was edited by: sidblue

Message was edited by: sidblue

25 REPLIES 25
MartiniSipper
Visitor

Just received my SMP-N200 today. Setup box, allowed firmware upgrade and ran into same iPlayer problems. Tried reset, but didn't seem to be able to undo upgrade. Set DNS manually on box as per instructions above and hey presto!

Thanks Mark for stepping in where Sony seem to have feared to tread!

profile.country.GB.title
Red_Snow
New

No worries, glad to have helped. iPlayer was one of the reasons I chose this box, certainly not for mkv compatibility 🙂

Cheers - Mark

fangs4thememory
Visitor

Hi all,

Am considering buying the SMP-N200.

With all the grief that the firmware has caused -- although I see that there are fixes to this -- is there any actual advantage to performing the update? Has it improved anything or added extra features?

Many thanks.

fazerroy
Explorer

Hi all, First post on this forum

Just to my tuppenceworth. I bought the SMP-N200 primarily to watch i-player and you tube. I've had the player for two weeks having followed all the onscreen instructions for set up, updating firmware etc etc. I have it connected to my router with a cat5 cable.

I've had no troubles at all untill last night. I used the i-player facility four or five times in the past week or so. Onto last night then, "let's watch last weeks masterchef" Nope, nothing doing. I can access i-player, scroll around the screen, change screens and select a program. I just cannot get that program to play, neither can I type in a program name in the search page (using the remote or andriod phone app with it's qwerty board). It's all fine on my laptop. I don't think I've had a frimware update since I performed the update on day one.

I had also hoped to be able to stream BBC radio programs, but Sony doesn't support Adobe Flash Player needed to stream radio. I live in a very poor reception area for radio and have a huge high gain antenna for TV.

I also think that  the on-line side of things is very clunky, it takes an age to select a website, resize the page so you can see it from the sofa and navigate through the various pages on the sites. I wonder what in the box is different to a laptop in terms of functionality. Should Sony configure a remote mouse for this media streamer?

I saw the SMP-N200 as a great way for me to update my old telly, quite cheaply. But it hassome fundamental limitations. It does seem far from perfect, not something you'd expect from a leadiing electronics giant.

Regards

Roy

wyadvd
Visitor

Have just received my box from amazon, updated firmware, and iplayer shows the top menu, but refuses to play anything. 

Sony i'll give you a week to sort this and then its going back to amazon.

wyadvd
Visitor

The DNS server IP address fix worked a treat!