Join now - be part of our community!

SMP-N200 error

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sidblue
Explorer

SMP-N200 error

Hi just purchased the above unit and already stumbled across a few problems. BBC iPlayer is not working, you can access the page but some but not all programs display this message.

"Network Problem BBC iplayer was unable to connect to a required server. Please check your network connection and try again"

Would I lie to you= Works

Frozen Planet= Above message is displayed.

Country Tracks =Same message.

Another problem is I can't stream photos or music from my Windows Laptop, video files work perfectly and I see the WMP logo under the film icon but not under photo's or music. Why is this?

Software Version : M10.r.0579

Provisioning Server Connection status: Succeeded

I'm sure this is a temporary software issue (I hope) but is there anyone experiencing  the same problems?

UPDATE 22/12/2011

Still no word from Sony and still the same problem, I have tried 4 boxes to date all with the same issue.

Message was edited by: sidblue

Message was edited by: sidblue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

If some programmes are working and others not, then this is a BBC side problem. The netbox is just a medium and is reliant on what its being served by BBC side.

If you can't select anything, I'd try a factory reset on it - details in the Smart TV FAQ on the main page ( use the Blu-ray instructions) and see if this fixes it. Make sure you reset the device and the personal settings as well.

Thanks

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
energytab
Visitor

I am having exactly the same error. Its got to be a SONY problem. I set the player on my network via cable connection. The box failed to identify it twice, on the third attempt it recognised it and authenticated the problem.

I wanted to double check things, so, I turned the box off, and exactly the same thing happened again.

Message was edited by: energytab

energytab
Visitor

Latest problem with my SMP-N200

The box has completed a firmware update. Since that time, I can select programmes on iPlayer, but cant play them. 

Catmambo
Contributor

If some programmes are working and others not, then this is a BBC side problem. The netbox is just a medium and is reliant on what its being served by BBC side.

If you can't select anything, I'd try a factory reset on it - details in the Smart TV FAQ on the main page ( use the Blu-ray instructions) and see if this fixes it. Make sure you reset the device and the personal settings as well.

Thanks

RobertM
Visitor

I've got the same problem, brand new box, prompted ot load latest firmware when switched on today which I did but when I browse iPlayer it wont play any content just flashes the message about there being a network error.  Other content like YouTibe and DLNA are playing fine and my Bravia TV is playing content from iPlayer OK.  Is this a bug in this firmware...?  Is it possible to rollback to the previous firmware...?

Catmambo
Contributor

This sounds like a problem with the BBC. Can you check the other services such as Demand Five and Sky News. Please also check if its all shows on iPlayer or just a few.

BBC seem to have identified an error which might be related to this anyway..

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/streaming_problems

I'll check early next week and see if there is an update.

Thanks

energytab
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

I appreciate the help, but i dont believe its a BBC iplayer error. I have accessed iplayer via my pc and can watch anything very easily.

The problem I've got, which I have still got, is that when accessing iplayer on the SMP-N200, i cannot search by date, or type in a text entry, or directly play whats on the screen. Its like ceretian options just aren't there.

I have used the box for the last three weeks, without a single problem (apart from it not finding the internet on the first go). It is ONLY since the firmware update, that I cant use it.

I would like to know what to do now, because basically I bought the thing to watch iplayer on my Bravia TV, rather than my sony laptop. It is not doing what it should do.

I would also like to know how to disable the sony updates to the SMP-N200, as it was the updates that messed my laptop up for weeks.

Catmambo
Contributor

BBC serves up iPlayer content in numerous different ways - I think they have over 10 if not more, different flavours of iPlayer, so just because its working on one device doesn't mean it is working on others I'm afraid as the streaming protocols used vary from device to device. As that link from the BBC says they seem to have identified an issue, but you could always email them directly and raise your concerns and see if they are aware of your particular issue?

Thanks

energytab
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

please do not take offence, but I am trying to resolve an issue with the Sony SMP-N200 and I dont find very much constructive help available.

The box is effectively useless, since the recent iplayer update OR Sony firmware update OR both. I purchased it three weeks ago for one reason - iplayer on my 40" Bravia. At first it worked fine, but since the firmware update, its next to useless.

Is it that I am the only person experiencing such a problem ? Does that mean my box is faulty.

I have attempted to contact the Sony helpline, but again, its about as easy to access as the SMP-N200

Apart from contacting BBC (and yes, they've not responded) what can Sony do. After all, its Sony I bought it from.

I also see from searching this forum, that there is another report of iplayer not working any more

RobertM
Visitor

Yes energytab, you are not alone, I also have the same issue trying to stream content from iPlayer.  The other services, Demand 5 and Sky are fine.  I don't know whether it worked before the update to the firmware as I unpacked it on Saturday, switched on and was prompted straight away to update the firmware so I did this before trying iPlayer.  I purchased this as a Christmas present so that my wife could watch iPlayer in the bedroom so it isn't going to be very well received if the issue isn't resolved.