Join now - be part of our community!

Software updated for older internet TVs

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ScarlettOhaha
Visitor

Software updated for older internet TVs

Forgive me if this question has already been covered but I couldn't find it.

I have an old (the first?) Sony Bravia Internet Television. It's almost two years old now. It's the one that you had to buy the wireless dongle separately for!

Anyway, I notice that the newer internet TVs have a much richer offering and the user screen is very different.

Are the older TVs going to get this newer and richer proposition and how do I get it? 

Also I've had real problems with Sony Homestream on my Apple Macbook Pro.  It downloads but  can't configure it and I can't get my laptop and TV to talk to each other.  I'm running the latest OS even though my laptop is 2 years old now.  Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

In terms of straight up video content, newer models have a couple more services like BBC sport and Netflix, but the rest of the content is pretty much the same. Lack of backporting is simply down to processing speeds and platforms of the first generation devices unfortunately not being able to support the newer standards.

Easiest way to get the new services and UI is to get a connected Blu-ray player such as the BDP-S390 as your panel is working fine and so no reason to buy a new TV. Worth getting a full demo in a Sony Centre or local good retailer for sure.

In terms of Homestream - have you checked out the user guide here? http://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/hub/Homestream%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20v1.1.pdf

Hopefully better articulates how to get it up and running.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

In terms of straight up video content, newer models have a couple more services like BBC sport and Netflix, but the rest of the content is pretty much the same. Lack of backporting is simply down to processing speeds and platforms of the first generation devices unfortunately not being able to support the newer standards.

Easiest way to get the new services and UI is to get a connected Blu-ray player such as the BDP-S390 as your panel is working fine and so no reason to buy a new TV. Worth getting a full demo in a Sony Centre or local good retailer for sure.

In terms of Homestream - have you checked out the user guide here? http://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/hub/Homestream%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20v1.1.pdf

Hopefully better articulates how to get it up and running.

Thanks

Bernie-the-Bolt

Hello Scarlett

I think that you will find that you need to hard wire your devices together. If running DLNA from your device to your TV you need to connect via your hub/router. Wireless, in my experience, does not work. I suggest looking at this thread; https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/141156.Whilst it is geared up for PCs I think that you'll have enough information to proceed with to sort yourself out.

See how you get on.

Kind Regards.