Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL-40nx803 already outdated ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Vandal76

Sony KDL-40nx803 already outdated ?

So, I have purchased this TV when it came out, and they were being touted as the latest networking, do it all TV's... And for the price, they should have... However, a year later, I see that the software updates are minimal, the iPhone app for the remote doesn't include support for this TV, and the newer model can record to USB (something that could be addressed via a software update for this one).

Also, can someone tell me why, in the age of HD, this TV cannot read a USB stick bigger than 4GB ? It's just way too limited !!

Sorry about the rant, but I can see that Sony is going down the old route they had before of launching products and not keeping up with support/updates for them... It would be great if someone from the actual Sony support team could answer some of these questions, feels quite frustrating spending all this money on a TV that is now way outdated when it could be addressed via a software update, keeping it fresh and slightly up to date...

Thanks!

:slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Some features simply can't be updated via software update I'm afraid. TV's today are not like PC's which all have storage and processors capable of emulating or serving up a variety of extremely complicated services which are consistently being updated and changed by broadcasters.

Don't forget that this is just one element of your TV which still delivers excellent picture quality. If you are desperate for a particular feature, then newer network features can be easily added via Blu-ray players or netboxes which are a fraction of the price of the panel (some stores were pinging out one of our  2011 Blu-ray players from £50 just before Christmas) - and obviously you can't retrospectively improve the fantastic picture quality on the NX range.

Your TV is still getting firmware fixes and content service updates where possible such as Mubi, Muzu and a load of other services were pushed out in the last week - indeed they are rolled out to as many devices as possible as its in our best interests to make them as widely available as possible. However sometimes it just isn't possible due to technical requirements from broadcasters or content partners.

I appreciate it might not necessarily be the answer you were looking for, but hope it puts a bit more clarity around the issue.

Thanks

jmgath
Visitor

Small memory devices are formatted to FAT32, so number and size of files is limited. Max is 4 Gig size file.