Join now - be part of our community!

Sparks and Burnt HDMI connecting Bravia LCD to PS3 - HELP!

profile.country.en_IE.title
sjmarquette
Visitor

Sparks and Burnt HDMI connecting Bravia LCD to PS3 - HELP!

Hey Guys...can't find the answer to my dilemma online, nor can I get someone from Sony on the phone.
I recently purchased a Sony Bravia 46EX503 television (46" LCD) and have had serious issues--including large sparks and burnt HDMI connectors--when trying to hook the device up to standard AV equipment.  Specifically, I have boiled the issue down to the HDMI connection when using a Sky HD satellite box (220v) and US PS3 (110v).  Here are the key things I've identified:
  • Immediately upon hooking the devices to the power source the breaker trips though not due to overloading the circuit as all devices don't throw it as long as the HDMI cables are not connected. 
  • This was after attempts to connect the devices with the all power on (device off) which resulted in significant spark being thrown from the HDMI cable and the cable itself being partially burned. 
  • I've tried the same connection with another TV (US 110v) and have no issues in connecting both devices to the TV's two HDMI ports. 
Therefore, based on this fact and other trouble shooting I can only identify the culprit as the TV versus any of the other devices or power issues within the flat.  Furthermore, the fact that at the time of the sparks the TV's HDMI was plugged in and upon connecting it to the PS3 the sparks occured...it seems the TV is putting significantly more power into the HDMI or is somehow shorting out to create sparks and burnt metal...certainly not a low voltage HDMI issue.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Stephen
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi sjmarquette. In the interests of health and safety, please don't try and use the TV until you have spoken to the call centre so they can offer some proper guidance on this one. Unfortunate its happened over the holiday period, but I think they are open from Wednesday onwards.

Thanks