Join now - be part of our community!

Teletext (Red Button) Problem on 2007 Vintage Bravia

Brian32P
New

Teletext (Red Button) Problem on 2007 Vintage Bravia

I have a Bravia KDL-32P3020 manufactured in October 2007.  When using Teletext on the BBC 1 Red Button we can drill down through the menus (e.g. up to date news items) but no pages will actually load - instead of loading the page it will switch back to full screen picture.  We have auto software download set to "on" and the software version is 2.12.105 which I have to assume is the latest.  Anyone have any ideas please?

TV works perfectly apart from this.

25 REPLIES 25

I've had exactly the same thing with a KDL-23B4050, same symptoms, can scroll down list of   teletext category pages, but as soon as try to open a particular page, tv exits teletext and returns to full screen..otherwise tv working perfectly

profile.country.GB.title
hwolny
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem with my Bravia KDL-20S3000 TV bought in 2009.

I contacted the BBC and got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting the BBC Reception Advice Service.

I understand you've encountered problems accessing the Red Button recently.

As part of an ongoing improvement to Freeview we have recently updated the BBC’s Red Button service. All our updates are in line with the international standards for broadcast television and tested to ensure they meet these standards.

However, we have been informed by Sony that a small number of their older products are having problems with the update. While the issue is with the Sony products, we are assisting Sony to find a resolution to the problem. We would therefore suggest contacting Sony direct as they will be better placed to keep you updated with progress.

I then contacted Sony and this was their response:

Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing difficulties accessing BBC Red Button service on your Sony KDL-20S3000.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that sadly due to your TV seniority the TV is blacklisted preventing access to the Red Button application.

Since BBC developed their new BBC Red Button + application and your TV is an old model that unfortunately will not be supported.

We apologize for the unintended inconvenience.

Please provide us with the serial number allocated on the back of the device for registration purposes.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,

Sally

Sony customer support

Sony Europe Limited

TV seniority? Blacklisted? My TV is only 6 years old. I know that stuff these days is not built to last compared to consumer goods built 20 years ago, but this is unacceptable. Either the BBC should ensure that their existing digital services are available to all licence payers (and any changes that they make are always compatible with existing TVs)), or Sony should provide suitable support for their products that are nowhere near the end of their working lives - a 6 year old TV is not obsolete (or even "senior").

Brian32P
New

Thank you hwolny for such a quick and comprehensive reply.  Your TV is a couple of years younger than mine but even I find it incredible that Sony can wash their hands of what is such a fundamental problem i.e. we cannot receive such a basic service as Teletext any more.  Any ideas on what the next step is?

Since first posting and after reading the  emails from the BBC & Sony Customer Services, I've also sent an email to Sony complaining of their attitude in trying to just walk away from the problem. I told them they're trying to use the  so called seniority of the tvs etc., as a cop out, but as yet I've heard nothing back

Hwolny,

do you have an email address for the people who replied to you at Sony?. I keep following the links on their site, send off my complaint and then it gets bounced back saying not us, try this one...still not managed to get through to the right place

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have just spotted this thread - I will flag this with my contacts within Sony and see if I can get you all an answer.  Will post back when I find out what is going on.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
hwolny
Explorer

The BBC Red Button function on my "obsolete" TV now appears to be working (well, kind of).

After selecting a news story on BBC Teletext from the Main Headlines page, the TV still exits Teletext, but after about 10 seconds a "Please Wait" message appears on the screen and then the Teletext page of the previously selected news story is displayed. The rest of Teletext then works normally i.e. navigating to different pages using the menus. This has only happened in the last week or so. This will work as long as you do not press any other buttons on the remote before the "Please Wait" message appears and Teletext is redisplayed.

I haven't updated the firmware of my TV nor recanned for new digital channels - it seems the BBC have updated their Red Button software.

A victory (of sorts) ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Funnily enough, I have had a small response from Sony this morning about this.  Both the BBC and Sony are kind of correct in their statement - but they are working together to find a fix to at least prevent the crashing symptoms.  There is no known ETA on when this fix will occur - however it is also unlikely that full services will resume as they once was.

Only time will tell I guess.  

Cheers

Brian32P
New

I have just tried my TV again and I have the same response from the TV as hwolny - obviously it would be more logical for the "please wait" to appear immediately instead of after 10 seconds but (thanks to hwolny) once you know you need to wait it's not really a problem.  Teletext then appeared to work normally as hwolny said.

I am not sure what to make of Quinnicus mysterious statement "unlikely that full services will resume".

Thanks again to hwolny.