Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to see all computers on network from Bravia TV

profile.country.en_GB.title
Thwack
Visitor

Unable to see all computers on network from Bravia TV

Hi all

I'm a little stumped. We have a nice shiny new Bravia 40" TV (the model no. escapes me at the mo.. and I'm at work :slight_frown: )

Anyway, I've installed the Sony USB dongle and can see my laptop (Vista- yuk) and can watch youtube from the TV no probs :smileyhappy:... but my "server" (Windows 7) upstairs, is invisable as is my wifes laptop (Vista-again..)

I've no concerns about the TV (or dongle), but I have obviously got something "off" on these invisble machines and I can't think for the life of me what...

I'm resonably techy... a web designer and PC support chap for 20 years so this is pretty tough for me to handle - being beaten by a computer!

On the windows 7 system I've gone into media player and turned on streaming and sharing and still nothing..

The laptop is in the same "home group" as the windows 7 machine and they are all in the same IP range (fixed IP addresses)

I have no addional firewall program running - apart from the default micro$oft one..

What am I doing worng, what could be blocking it?

Is there a piece of software I could (should) be using for sharing(streaming) the videos I have on the server?

Many thanks in advance

I'm sure it is something obvious  :smileyblush:

Cheers

Thwack

6 REPLIES 6
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Thwack  - I know the frustration of computers (temporarily!!) getting the better of you. Give Serviio a try as your DLNA streaming software. Free download and works very well on BRAVIA as numerous people on here will testify..

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Thwack
Visitor

"Give Serviio a try as your DLNA streaming software."

Will do.

Default install?

I'll report back on success...

Thanks for the prompt response.

Thwack

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes - WMP is actually pretty poor at streaming content. Seviio transcodes everything you throw at it on the fly as does a very good job.

Thanks

Thwack
Visitor

Well I downloaded and installed Serviio.

Still no joy.

From other PCs I can see the shared folders but nothing like a media server (That I do see with the laptop).

I can also see the TV on the laptop but not the windows 7 ultimate PC.

I've temporarily turned off the firewall - no change..

It is almost like the DNLA service is not running installed... if there is one:smileyblush:

Any more ideas? Greatly received.

Cheers

Thwack

Catmambo
Contributor

Have you had a sniff around your router - make sure UPnP and or DLNA is enabled on the router. Maybe see if there is an updated firware also? Any chance to try on another PC?

Thanks

Thwack
Visitor

I'm sure the router is fine as the TV can see my Laptop, which also goes through the router.

Interestingly, I uninstalled the media center components of windows 7 and now I can see a "media storage" icon in my network view on the laptop of the windows 7 machine. It looks very similar to the the laptops one which got me really excited...:smileyhappy:

It looked like serviio was "getting through" what ever was blocking it.

But alas, the TV still does not see the PC.

I'm starting to think a reinstall of windows 7 may be on the cards, it'll do it good to be refreshed.