Join now - be part of our community!

uwa-br100 working with public network/btopenzone?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
BraddersRM
New

uwa-br100 working with public network/btopenzone?

Hi I'm interested to know whether the wifi dongle UWA-BR100 would work on a public network like bt opennzone. Its a bit of a gamble to pay for one if it doesn't work!

Thanks to anyone that could shed some light on this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

im going to take a little stab in the dark with this one.

the problem here is that theres been many posts on here regarding the lack of connection between the dongle and routers on home networks if the router is in another room.

you ask in your question i believe, that can you pick up any open wi fi elsewhere, the thing here is that your tv might be able to "see" open wi fi's but connecting to them might be something else especially if many on here are having trouble connecting with a router in the next room!.

to be honest, i think this would be more trouble than its worth to even contemplate it.

the other thing of coarse that if you were successful and got a connection, it probably wont be long before someone realises that your sucking up their broadband with an unrecognised tv and lock you out then you'll be back where you started.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bravia55HX

Hi,

im going to take a little stab in the dark with this one.

the problem here is that theres been many posts on here regarding the lack of connection between the dongle and routers on home networks if the router is in another room.

you ask in your question i believe, that can you pick up any open wi fi elsewhere, the thing here is that your tv might be able to "see" open wi fi's but connecting to them might be something else especially if many on here are having trouble connecting with a router in the next room!.

to be honest, i think this would be more trouble than its worth to even contemplate it.

the other thing of coarse that if you were successful and got a connection, it probably wont be long before someone realises that your sucking up their broadband with an unrecognised tv and lock you out then you'll be back where you started.

gofrost

Not only that but BT openzone is for subscribers that are already bt broadband customers or have it included in any mobile contract ,so my point is why would you want to connect to an unsecured network when you would already have a secured connection in place.This device is only for a local wireless network not for an application that allows you to connect to a network that does'nt eat through your 3G data plan.