Join now - be part of our community!

which screen size is best for Sony KDLHX923 placed 205cm (6.72 feet)from sofa?

profile.country.en_GB.title
giodeflo9
Visitor

which screen size is best for Sony KDLHX923 placed 205cm (6.72 feet)from sofa?

Hello,

can i please ask some advice?

I am purchasing a brand new Bravia HX923 but I am not sure if I should buy the 55 or the 65 inches one.

My current tv is the 55X4500, therefore I'd naturally choose the 55 inches 923 because I am quite happy with the size but i am really tempted to get the bigger one, as i loved moving from my previous 46 inches x2000 to the 55 inches one, but I don't want to be disappointed because distance from sofa may be too little for such a big tv perhaps and therefore i could see pixels or artefacts?

Is the 65 too big for a distance from the sofa of 205cm (sofa is 170 cm away from tv, but my head is 205 cm from tv which is 6.72 feet).

I normally watch programs in HD, rarely in SD unless I have to.

I have noticed that the 65 inches one is exactly same lenght of my 55x4500 (because my tv has the size speakers) but it is 10 cm taller.

Finally, am i more likely to get the issue with lines of hx series which some users have reported with the 65 or with the 55 (or hopefully the new builds won't have the issue anyway?)

Thanks in advance for your time

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I had been doing my research to replace my old Sony TV. Finally I decided to go for the 65HX923 despite all the problems that this line had earlier on because I have a long history of buying Sony products of all sorts and I mean from the Trinitrons to Vaio laptops. I tried to avoid Sony Centres that were owned by Sonex since they were in administration.

When the TV came it had two white lines making a band of about four inches at around 29 inches from the border and dark band right in the centre of the screen. I contacted Sony Customer support as soon as I said that my TV had two white lines the girl said to me that the TV was within specifications and that she could give me the phone of the technical engineers so they could explain to me that the TV was within specifications. Even I was very adamant that this was not within specifications I hit a wall with Sony Support.

In paper is a good TV, despite it suffers from haloing, x-talk, DSE, backlight inconsistencies among some other issues, which I was not complaining about them, I still thought that the TV had potential and liked it in general. It is handsome TV at least when it is off.

I went back to my retailer a Sony Centre which booked a technical engineer to come a see my TV. Intentionally or unintentionally they booked it with a company in Birmingham which contacted me after a week and a half to let me know that they did not service my Area. Went back to SC and low and behold they are into administration and cannot do anything. I was force to face Sony Support again. Eventually someone did book a technical person who confirmed that my TV was indeed faulty.

In my experience Sony Support only lies to customers and fob them off to delay and reduce any possible action that the customer may have. The only thing they are good for is for keeping people in the phone and escalating problems but not finding solutions. They will also close your cases without even given a reply to it. If you open a case with them and do not keep track of it, it will get closed and lost in the sea of daily problems. I think that this is done very conveniently to tell you that no one has reported any problem or to tell you later one that you have never complained about it. Sony is producing bad quality products and selling them at premium prices a huge far cry of what Sony used to be.

Is the HX923 line good? I have no doubt it is. If one is lucky enough to get the good one. Buying one of this TV is a Russian roulette. Sony customer support is lame, appalling and not customer orientated at all. I cannot in good faith recommend anyone to buy this TV or use any Sony Centre. It seems that there is a good probability that the TV might be faulty and that the Sony Centre would go into administration. After that Sony will treat the customer like a criminal for expecting than after paying 4500 pounds for a top of the range flagship TV this will work accordingly at least for a couple of weeks. I think that the flag they use as a reference for this TV has a skull and two crossed bones. This the sort of TV that if you are feeling lucky you should consider going for it otherwise steer clear. The number of people having problems is not small. Sony has been losing money for 4 years because they are not producing good product any longer.

Buyers beware, solutions left to customers try to deal with the administrator, dispute the payment with the credit card. Expect loads of grief, lost time and frustration. I never wanted to get rid of the TV, I just wanted a working one. I had been in the hunt for the new TV and I was pretty determined to stick with this TV. After dealing with Sony I only have regrets and strong the feeling of not buying Sony ever again.

I know that this rant does not answer your question of the distance but at least will give you an idea of what this Flagship TV and Sony are capable of. However if you do decide to go for it avoid the 65, is twice as much as expensive and will not add any to your experience. I am sitting almost 5 meters from mine and it is big. If watching Blu-Ray with black bars then it does not look so big but still it is a big. I can only assume that 65 inches from two meters will be too big.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

giodeflo9 wrote:

Hello,

can i please ask some advice?

I am purchasing a brand new Bravia HX923 but I am not sure if I should buy the 55 or the 65 inches one.

My current tv is the 55X4500, therefore I'd naturally choose the 55 inches 923 because I am quite happy with the size but i am really tempted to get the bigger one, as i loved moving from my previous 46 inches x2000 to the 55 inches one, but I don't want to be disappointed because distance from sofa may be too little for such a big tv perhaps and therefore i could see pixels or artefacts?

Hi giedeflo9,

Does this augmented reality tv-size-guide? help, not tried it myself..

Sony augmented reality tv-size-guide?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

personally if your sitting that close i would go the 55" route, many would say the bigger the better and in most cases thats good, however i think the 65" is just a tad too big for you, high def content would look great but standard def tv will do your head in.

now the concern over creases, virtually non existent nowadays however some un uniformity, ( sony's words not mine! ) may be present that means the far outer perimeter of the display may be a little lighter but you got to look, and the best way to be sure is to get your dealer to get you your chosen choice in and examine said set in store to be happy.

there are other threads on here you can read for background info, one i started almost a year ago now titled Sony KDL**HX923.

Oh, one more thing, i did'nt want to say anything till i have spoke to my dealer first, i have asked Sony about who's making these panels now and so far fallen on deaf ears!!, BUT, mines started dropping pixels after two months!!, so you may wanna do some serious checking now.

Bravia55HX

is it any wonder Thalamus!, seriousely can you see your self sitting 6 feet from a 65" screen??, no of coarse not!  so that makes the augmented tv size guide a waste of time in this case (to be fair).

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Bravia55HX923 wrote:

is it any wonder Thalamus!,

Not sure what you mean..:smileyconfused:

Bravia55HX923 wrote:

seriousely can you see your self sitting 6 feet from a 65" screen??, no of coarse not!  so that makes the augmented tv size guide a waste of time in this case (to be fair).

Some people do, but I'm not purchasing the Bravia..

That's why I suggested, to giodeflo9, that the augmented reality tv size guide may help with his choice on wether to increase from his current 55" model to 65" one..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert
Bravia55HX

Blencogo,

no apologies nessessary, i like it in feet!,

so to summarise for a 65" screen at full 1080p thats 8.4ft away, and for 720p (or standard tv even) make that 13.3 ft away, which brings me back to what i originally said, 6ft is far too close!!.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Bravia55HX923 wrote:

so to summarise for a 65" screen at full 1080p thats 8.4ft away, and for 720p (or standard tv even) make that 13.3 ft away, which brings me back to what i originally said, 6ft is far too close!!.

So to summarise for a 55" screen at full 1080p that's 7.1ft away, and for 720p (standard tv) screen that's 10.6 ft away. Which in theroy would also suggest a 55" Bravia would be to large at a distance of 6.72ft..

Bravia55HX

well when you look at it like that, then the figures are correct, however for the sake of arguement i sit 8ft from mine and sometimes i think i could have gone bigger!!, but i believe it would be a mistake, as it is,  its perfect, now the original post begs the question and i beg to be honest at 6.7 ft a 65" is right in your face!, the problem here is that he owns a 55" now sitting that far away, so one must ask oneself will another 10" overdo it?, my wife thinks it will !, what about yours?